brett88

Dec 27, 2002
Hey Guys,
Newbie here.. so if I say something ridiculous look over it. I have a used 88 KDX with the ugliest, greenish-brown gas tank you have ever seen, my buddy told me it was an aftermarket "desert" tank and I assumed the color was just "off". Well, I scratched it with a wire brush and saw beautiful Kawasaki green underneath.
Using the wire brush for the entire tankwould scratch the he** out of it, so it there some chemical/sandpaper/acid/voodoo that I can use to clean off this "gas funk"?
Anyone have ANY ideas ? Muchass Grassyass.

MassKDX

Dec 11, 2001
On my buddies old 1986 YZ250 we had the same issuse with the white tank and fenders. We used a 400-600 grit paper and the bright white came back. The color is dull and not shinny. You could try to use a 1200 and wet sand afterwards. We didn't but it's a dirt bike and they are suppose to get dirty. :)However, just remember that you are taking away plastic from the tank and it is not as strong. So dont sit there and try to get out a deep scratch by sanding away. Just a thought to keep in the back of your mind.

AndyD

Nov 26, 2002
Hi,

I had the same problem with the tank on my '86 bike I'm rebuilding. I rubbed it all down with 400grit then 800 both wet with pan detergent to stop clogging. This left it looking nice and green but very dull. To get a nice shine back you can either use plastic restore or very carefully warm the surface with a hot air paint stripper. This just melts the surface and gives it a nice sheen again. Go real easy or you will scorch the plastic and ensure the tank has been well vented for a few days before hand and point the open neck away from you at all times just in case.
Cheers,
Andy

fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
there is a renewer kit you can buy for about $15.00 thats works great it will make it look like brand new. look at web sit rockeymountainatv they sell it .

Johnnyboy

Aug 25, 2001
I asked a professional car painter and he said rubbing compound would get it looking new. I would assume use a heavier one to get rid of the ugly stuff and then a light one to bring back the gloss.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
I have tried brown (coarse) and white (fine) polishing compound on my plastic with very poor results. There is a 3M plastic restore that I was only able to find at a NAPA auto parts store that worked very well.

Mark
'80 kdx175
'85 kdx200

AndyD

Nov 26, 2002
Hi Brett,

If you use the hot air gun technique and then some plastic restore it will come up like new. The hot air get rid of all the fine scratch marks and any plastic 'dander'.
cheers,A

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom