CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Okay so the spokes on the old YZ I bought are so loose that the hub shakes. I went to start tightnening them up and they won't budge. The whole spoke moves with the wrench then just springs back into place. So are they seized? What do I do to make the nipples turn again?

thanks

1999RM125

Mod Ban
Apr 1, 2002
i wouldent keep twisting if the nipple wont move, all you will do is snap the spoke. Are they rusty? get some penetrating oil(WD-40) and spray em good, then try turning the nipple both ways to break the seal. If that doesnt work, then you can expect to get a new set of spokes and nipples, and you wil have to remove the tire, cut the spoke an pull em through.

Einstein

May 27, 2002
Use a penetrating oil like 99rm said. To do it right you should take the wheels completely apart, I realize this is a big job :eek: but it's worth it. Then you can clean or replace the spoke nipples. Then use anri-seize when reassembling and you'll never have that problem again.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Well it's a 22 year old bike, so I guess I will use the WD-40, the front tire is shot anyways, so I might take it off and just see if I can do something with the spokes there :whiner:

motomad

May 26, 2002
Once you get them apart(the penetrant won't help the rubber)and it doesn't work,try a little heat on the nipple (soldering iron? small torch?) and even a little dry ice on the spoke itself with the nipple still hot. You can sometimes finesse some free broken pieces from the dry ice guy.

yam 3

May 19, 2000
You might try and clamp a pair of vice grips on the spoke to keep it from spinning while you turn the nipple. Just do like the above and spray some oil on the nipple first. Be careful not to strip the threads!

Top Bottom