Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I worked on a friends cr 8 this weekend. This bike had soem terrible marks on the exhaust port area. Exactly like Erics Book said. HUmm.....

The book also says the most likley cause is a bad right crank seal.

Can I change this without splitting the cases.

This bike rand bad from the start. It was finally traced to a bad CBI unit which Honda replaced (very cool) The bike ran well for about 10 hours after the cdi was changed. Fuel is mixed with Yamaha R at 40-1. Thanks!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
You usually have to split the cases to get to the crank seal. :(
That stinks, huh! Also, I would have your friend run at least 32:1 oil in that 80! I would recommend 25:1!
Good Luck, and call me when you are going riding.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Oh, also see if the exhaust has a bridged exhaust port or not, if it does then check to see if the piston has been properly relieved (by drilling holes) there is a thread on it in the Mods/Performance section recently!
That could be a part of the cause.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You may not have to split the cases to change the right side crank seal. On most of the newer bikes you can just remove the clutch to get access to it. There have been several threads on it if you do a search.
Of course on a small engine like a CR 8 it should be easy enough to tear into ;)

Studboy has a good point about the oil holes in the piston if there is an exhaust bridge. Also the bridge may not be relieved enough.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Thanks you guys. I am sure a case splitting is in order.

Studboy, you are close to approaching the title "studman" The exhaust port is bridged. I never paid attention to the holes in th episton. The owner bought an oem piston, so I hope to hell they were there, if needed!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Rcannon, get back to us when you get that little zinger running again! I love the 15,000 RPM (A little exagerated) shreak of a properly tuned 80! Anyhow, since I can't send you a PM because you haven't subscribed, how's about getting your friend over to look at my KX?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Studboy, the bike is now together. I used new oem parts and the bike runs well.

The kid that owns the bike is soo cool, I just want to do this right! After I finished his bike, he went hom eand broke into his band. He bought me a T ****r to thank me for fixing his bike. It was very cool for a 10 year old kid to do this!

His dad is the one wanting the bike. I think he has to wait until FEB to buy anything. He is looking at the new 2001 RM 250 at Honda Suzuki of SLC. The bike is heavily discounted. I think he would be better off with your machine, but we'll see!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Cool, I'm glad you got it running.
Yes...my Kawi will smoke that Suzuki any day! :)
(Riding skill depending)

Top Bottom