Visual Inspection Thru Exhaust Port

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
Hey folks. I just bought a used 1994 CR250R. The previous owner had it for about 1 1/2 years and never changed the top end out. He did not ride it too often. I took it home and tore into it, compression tested at 170lbs at 1000 ft A.S.L. I pulled the Fatty pipe off to get a good look in the cylinder through the exhaust port. I can see some tan coloring on the intake side of the cylinder wall. Brownish tan like, I can still see the cross hatch pattern there as well. Looking at the exhaust port I see a small shiny spot on the piston between the rings. No carbon build up to speak of at all. The top of the piston looks mint, no carbon. The plug was a nice tan color with no flakes. Bike seems to run fine. Stock carb,jetting is 175 main, 55 pilot with FMF Fatty and Power Core II silencer. When looking at the piston from the front, I can see some wear on the cylinder, some scoring on on the right side of the skirt, right where it travels along the edge of the exhaust port. A thin strip line of scoring along the full length of the piston skirt. I cannot see any scoring on the left side of the skirt in the same area. I cannot tell if this is from a minor 4 pt seizure or not as I have not yet removed the cylinder. Anyone have any comments on this? Maybe I could get a photo with the digial camera and you all can have a look at it.

My gut feel is to put in a new piston and rings, lightly hone the walls and re-gasket. This way I know where it stands. I have no idea how many hours are on that piston. Is there a reason for the brownish tan in spots on the cylinder? What about the skirt scoring? I am thinking that the scoring might have been caused by improper warm up. Riding the bike too hard when cold. I was thinking of putting the pipe back on and riding it for an hour or so to get a real feel for it. I only test rode it, just bought it yesterday. After I get an hour or so on the bike, maybe I look for more wear through the exhaust port and think about a top end rebuild. The reason I am a little confused is, if the top end were in need of a rebuild why would the compression be at 170 psi? So you know, I am pretty experienced with 4 strokes and some 2 stroke engine repair. I do all my own work, including complete bike restoration. I have most of all the the tools I need and have gone as far as completely splitting an XR350 engine for crank and tranny rebuild.

Your comments are appreciated.
Keith

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
For the price of a base gasket and a 6 pack you can't go wrong pulling the cylinder off and getting the feeler gauges out.

I just bought a used 2002 YZ250, tested the compression at 210psi.
I'm near Toronto so I guess I'm about 600' above sea level.
I pulled the cylinder and measured everything. The previous owner said he had just put a new top end in it and he must have, do to the measurements I got.

Last summer my buddy bought a 1995 CR250. He assumed the previous owner had taken care of it so we went to the tracks and had a blast. Half way through the season the piston exploded putting a 1” hole in the side of his cylinder. He just got the motor back and the bill was well over $2 grand.
And lost half the riding season which hurt the most.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
"if the top end were in need of a rebuild why would the compression be at 170 psi?"

the rings could still seat even though the piston is worn, although a compression test, visual inspection thru the exhuast & intake ports can give you a decent idea of the shape of the engine it is still only a guess compared to pulling it apart and measuring.

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
I ordered a piston and gasket set last night after the post. I went and had another look at the cylinder and it does appear to be a 4 point seizure. Bike still runs great, but I am going to put in a new top end. Thanks for your input. Keith

Top Bottom