Semi or Fully Synthetic4T for XR250RN??

fantovic

Apr 6, 2005
hi Everyone,

i am a gal from Singapore who just bought a year '91 XR250RN. will be needing an engine oil change in 2 weeks' time..

the previous owner used fully synthetic oil.. i am just wondering which is better, semi or fully syn oil for my 14 year-old hubby? what difference does it make?

Also, good if anyone can tell me exactly how many litres is needed? all i know is 1 litre++

did a search on this forum but did not find similar posts, please help! thanks in advance!! :nod:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
fantovic said:
i am just wondering which is better, semi or fully syn oil for my 14 year-old hubby? what difference does it make?

As long as you change the oil regularly and use good oil it won't make any difference which type you choose.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
What is your opinion of regularly?

I use synthetic and change the oil at least every 5 hours. Very few times do I go to 6 hours (according to my engine hour meter).

I know a lot of people say every ride, every other ride, yada yada yada.

Ivan

berudd

Dec 31, 2004
Rich Rohrich said:
As long as you change the oil regularly and use good oil it won't make any difference which type you choose.

I have to agree with that. Oil in a dirt bike get contaminated long before it breaks down. I would say that a full synthitic motorcycle oil probalby has it's advantages but I think they outweigh the cost. I have been using Shell Rotella T 15w40 with very good results. It has extra phosphorous which is good for our transmissions and it does not have the extra friction modifiers that most 10w30 oils have. They are too slick for us and will make the clutch slip. I really think a quality 10w40 motor oil is fine. Make sure you DO NOT get one the has the lable "Energy Conserving" which is ususally on the 10w30 oils. I would go with a 10 or 15w40 that is labeled as a heavy duty truck oil as they generally have the extra phosphorous I mentioned before. And since the as much cheaper than Amsoil, you can change it more often and still save some coin.

Top Bottom