reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I finally worked all this out and thought I would post it so that others can benefit...

My son's KX60 was leaking fuel, so I pulled the carb to set the float height. I have a KX-60 manual (actually the suzuki version, but it's the same book just in red and not green ;) ), and it showed the simple procedure for setting the float height... and it was wrong. The float shape was wrong in the manual, so you have no idea what to reference for the 21mm height indicated.

Instead of just guessing, just break out whatever combinations of tubing and stoppers etc you need to just do the "real" float height adjustment... I did it all with various sizes of scrap tubing laying around the garage. The gas height you observe in the tube with the carb level and upright should be right to the bottom of the larger upper lip of the mating surface of the upper carb body.

A little more setup and tear down, as you have to fill then drain gas for every measurement, but an big syringe made that easy enough for me. Once you get one "reference" measurement for the fuel height, you can then translate that after you pull the carb to measure how much higher or lower the float should be relative to where it already is (choosing whatever reference point you want), so your second guess should end up being pretty much dead on.

So anyway, hopefully that is helpful. The KX 60 is now not leaking, but is a little boggy when whacking the throttle. If it's like my KDX, it was jetted way rich from the factory for my altitude (600 ft above sea level), so I'm guessing the KX-60 is the same way. It also starts first kick even at 20 degrees F, even without the choke, so I suspect the slow jet is too rich.

I'll post updates. This bike came with an odd little header made by a snowmobile header company (forget the name, it's stamped in) that appears to have an unmarked FMF silencer. The header was a lot of labor intensive welding by whoever put it together... and appears to be made for the bike. Looks like a quality enough setup to try and tune.

Since my kid is doing enduro instead of MX, maybe I'll put in some copper washers and add a little length to the exhaust port and see if that gives him a little better grunt down low at the cost of top end...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Look the reeds over to make sure they are in good shape before messing with jetting. Lots of times these are ignored on the little bikes for some reason.

To check the jetting look at the plug. Better yet put a fresh plug in and do a throttle chop on it. Might be a little tough on a small bike but I'd suggest giving it a shot to get things cleaned up.

Top Bottom