dougjc

Mar 23, 2003
I tried to set my shock race sag between 95mm to 100mm. The bike is completely stock. I weigh about 185lbs. Even after setting the compression damping at the softest setting (fully counter clockwise) I only got abot 70-75mm of rear sag. Do I need to adjust the shock spring somehow? Do I need a special tool?

Thanks

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Howdy, Doug. You're right, the compression damper adjustment will not help you in setting your race sag. You need to back off the adjusters at the top of the shock spring. The service manual calls out a special tool to grip the adjusters, but I've normally just used a long drift punch & a big hammer to turn the adjusters.

I had the rear suspension apart yesterday for the semi-annual clean & grease, and installed a 4.8 spring while I was in there. That required resetting the sag. I finally was able to accomplish what others have done, and that is grip the spring with a rag and turn the entire spring assembly. The upper adjuster will turn with the spring, making the job go faster. Taking off the shock mud flap provides better access to get two hands on the spring.

Good luck.

BTW, have you done the initial grease service on the rear suspension links?

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
One full turn of the adjustment ring equals about 3mm. So it will take a while to get there but it is worth it.

Top Bottom