MilkJuGGz

Apr 1, 2002
Hi everyone,

I have a '96 WR250 that I'm setting up for hare scrambles in the southern Nevada area. There's wide open desert along with plenty of rock washes and sand washes.

I'm looking for tips on how to set up the bike specifically for high speed desert racing. I have found no information with the search functions nor on the net. The only thing I've read is that some desert racers prefer hard suspension in the front and soft in the back to help keep the bike stable in the event of collision with an unseen object. Ok that sounds good so far!

The suspension on the 96 WR's is set up quite stiff compared to a trail oriented bike, like a KTM exc. This is where I'm losing time in rocky areas. I know my riding style can improve, however, sometimes it gets so rocky that the chasis is constantly being upset to the point where I'm forced to slow down. The plush suspension bikes really pull on me in these areas. I've increased rebound damping and decreased comp damping, and that's helped a little, but I think I'm going to need more!

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be greatful. The bike is sprung for my weight, according to the manual. What can I do with the valve stacks to obtain something more rock friendly? I don't want something that's all out woods oriented. I do hit some terrain that does cause g-outs.

Thanks a lot!

~JuGGz

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Pull the base valves out of your forks and count the number of the largest shims closest to the valve face -- there's usually 6 - 7 of them. remove 1 or 2 of them and reassemble the forks with new oil. The "clicker" adjustments only cover a very narrow range -like less than 1 shim. [kinda like the air screw adjust on the carb] For high speeds over sand + rocks a steering damper makes an unbelievable difference --like you can take both hands off of the bars in 5th gear !!!!!

Eric82930

~SPONSOR~
Oct 26, 2001
I rode a bike just like yours with some suspension mods and it was awsome in the rocks. So don't give up hope it will require valving changes though.
I ride alot of high speed rocks and I have compression valved softer than most. It will bottom in g-outs (huge washes) but not in big sand whoops. I also use more rebound in the back and less in the front so If I hit something I don't see, the bike doesn't endo in fifth gear. In my opinion what works well on a motocross track sucks in the dessert and suspension tuners will need more input from you to get it right.

MilkJuGGz

Apr 1, 2002
Hey thanks a lot for all of the replies. I'm going to try setting up harder in the front and softer in the back. I'll research what I can do with the valve shims. This is going to be my first time diving into a suspension rebuild, but it's something I really want to learn.

Eric, you seem very familiar with this type of riding. Do you run what would be "standard" springs to compliment your weight, or do some go stiffer to compensate for a lack of compression damping?

Juggz

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom