Setting up Stock KDX Suspension

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
I'm wondering how to set up the stock suspension on a KDX220 to be the best it can be. I'm 200lbs 5'9"(Yup, a fatty!) and what I'm feeling so far with the bike after a season of riding is that the front is decent, maybe a little too soft, and the back is HARD. I do predominatly trail riding, with some jumping, but nothing too crazy. So how do I get the back of the bike to soak up a little more of a landing. I want to try and just adjust what I have... I've heard about clicker, but I do not know how they work. Also, are there any more easy adjustment that can be made. Finally, before you respond, remember this: your talking to a complete idiot when it comes to dirtbike suspension. I understand engines and drivetran stuff real great, but I'm a true suspension novice. ;)

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
OK, get your owners manual....

and read it. On your shock there are two clicker screw adjustment places. On the right side of your shock if you were sitting on the bike at the top and the bottom of the shock. Go ahead and look I'll wait. .....
OK, you're back, now the screw on the top is for compression which will soften the downward stroke of the shock somewhat, but the spring does most of that. You can click that setting a few clicks to the LEFT = LOOSE =Softer. (Try 3 clicks) Now on the bottom of the shcok if you soften up the top say 3 clicks then it would be a good idea to also click the bottom clicker to the LEFT 1 click. Try 3 clicks to the LEFT on top and 1 click to the LEFT on the bottom. That will soften it up a bit now go ride and see if it's better, I'll wiat right here for you...

Is it better or worse? If its better then you might try al little more or just leave it. If it's worse then we went the wrong way and try going the other way - RIGHT = Firmer = More dampening.

Now on the forks you may try to take the rubber plugs out of the very bottom of the fork tubes and locate that same screwdriver adjuster, you will have to lay down and look under the fork leg to find it. If you turn that clicker 1 or 2 clicks to the RIGHT that may firm up the front a bit, but again the spring will do most of that work and the best solution is to get a .42 KG spring installed.

Good luck.

Last edited:

RazorbackDave

Oct 14, 2000
I would guess that your stock spring might be somewhat light for your weight. How much pre load do you have on the spring? If you have it tightened way down, you may need to reduce it some to soften the ride some, but balance that advice with the proper sag settup. Again it's going to depend on the terrain and your riding style (high speed, big air vs. technical, rocks etc.). Fred T has some good ideas for playing with the clickers until you find something comfortable. I'm 6' and 235 and went to heavier springs with softer clicker settings to maintain some "plushness". I like that setup for the rocks and roots that dominate the riding terrain in my area.

Top Bottom