Sexism on the track?

megdoeshair

Sep 28, 2009
This past Sunday, like every Sunday, my whole family loaded up to go out to our preferred riding spot. It's always a great time and everyone you run into is usually nice.. or so I thought.

It was time to purchase a new helmet, and I of course put it off until Saturday afternoon when I could get to my local shop. The only helmet in my size that I liked was bright pink and black. Pink is my favorite color, so I didn't mind it at all.. this is, however, my first piece of pink gear. I had no idea what kind of frustration the color of my helmet would bring to me.

Sunday opened up a new world to me. When I first started out I noticed more people watching me than normal.. then things just progressed as the day went on. I was ran off the track twice.. and while riding to my car I noticed a guy on a quad just sitting in the distance watching me... when I went past him he intentionally ran into the side of my bike while I was trying to ride by (not at a fast speed, and I know he meant to hit me- it was pretty obvious). After I was on the ground he just sped around me, slinging dirt.

I just don't understand. I've NEVER experienced anything like this, and I've been riding since I was 5 years old. I guess when wearing mostly black and white, it's less obvious that I'm a woman? I'm having so much trouble wrapping my head around this. I've spent all day thinking about it and trying to comprehend yesterday's events, but I just can't.

Sorry for the long rant!
I'm just curious if any of you ladies have witnessed sexism or had to deal with it? Any advice on how to handle the situation?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Regardless of your gender, there is no excuse for that kind of behavior.

I have only ever been ran into on a track intentionally one time, of course by a quad rider, he won't do that again anytime soon.

I went back near where we park, but still on the track and stood in the track waiting for him to come around.. Then flagged him down to stop, and instructed him on the proper method of passing another rider on the track, and the consequences of running into me again.

I think once he realized that I wasn't playing, and I had a considerable amount of "backup", he thought it prudent to stay away from me.

If I were you, I'd have at least let someone know who operates the place you are riding and see to it that he is at least thrown out for the day.. if not permanently banned.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I have never seen anything like that, what part of NC are you in? When I take my son riding a lot of people talk to us because they think he's a girl (long hair). Your problem shouldn't be the pink, I know a guy that wears pink regularly, just to get a laugh. Probably, you just accidentally showed up on A-hole day. And remember, the big bad tough guys really hate public emasculation (but their friends find it hilarious).

racer09

Mar 7, 2006
ive nvr seen thAT happen. So ur sayin a guy on a quad knocked u over and took off? if i had saw that i would beat the hell out that guy. you dint treat ladys that way. i guess thats the whole southern gentlemen in me lols. dont worry about it though u look like u can handel yourself on a track

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
My wife sports a pink helmet. She's got nothing but encouragement from other riders. I don't think it's the helmet, it musta been a-hole day....

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Track etiquette, harassment, retribution, & legal action

Hello ms. megdoeshiar, porkchop here, how do you do & very pleased to meet you. So much for being formal & polite, are you sure that this was intentional? If so call the local law enforcement & file a complaint, & let the track proprietor have a chance to deal with the guy. Wow, what a lack of good manners & comradery. If that doesn't get an apology or some type of positive result, more agressive measures should be considered. I gather from your handle that you do hair, like the old saying goes, if god gave you lemons make lemon aid. Save up a bunch of hair clippings, put them in a big zip-lock bag & the next time you see the guy at the track, while he is out riding duct tape the bag on the exhaust pipe of his truck or what ever the dirt bag drives, near the catalytic converter, use lots of tape. Then hide a carp in the cab or under the hood if possible, remember this whole thing must be done covertly. :debil:
I believe the punishment fits the offense. ( don't do this during fire season ) The movie business has an old rule, never piss off an fx guy,
& the best gags are ones the victim never figures out.
Take it or leave it, Best Regards, Porkchop... :whoa:

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Sorry to hear that happened to you. Those guys were creeps. Generally everyone is courteous where I ride. But...people like to watch the girls. You're still a rare breed. I've never heard anyone I ride with bad-mouth a woman rider, instead I hear compliments even if they ride as bad as I do. Keep having fun.

megdoeshair

Sep 28, 2009

I live in Clayton, but I wasn't riding at Moto X Park East.. I was at Busco Beach in Goldsboro (it's the only place we can go as a family since moto x park east doesn't allow quads on the track anymore and we have 2 quad riders in the family). The place is pretty much run by the quad riders.. there are even big utility ATVs that get on the motocross tracks.

My sister drag races quads and she has never really had any problems. My fiance and his friends all wear pink goggles.. he was quite baffled by the events, too... he didn't notice the two guys on the bikes running anyone else off the track (he did notice them just randomly getting on the track at strange places without really paying attention, though). We told someone about the guy on the quad, but the only description we could give was that he was wearing swim trunks and a tank top and riding a raptor, which didn't narrow it down to many people.

I guess I did just show up on a-hole day. It's still frustrating that there can be THAT many ignorant people. I'm tempted to give them a taste of their own medicine if I see any of them around again.

megdoeshair

Sep 28, 2009

Hahaha. You've got my mind wandering to all other kinds of things I could do with hair. And the chemicals we put on hair..

People are usually pretty decent here.. I guess there was something funny in the water Sunday. I always thought it was pretty obvious I was a female.. I'm only 5'3" and pretty tiny.. I never really thought that people could possibly think that I was a really small/young boy. I guess pink made the few ignorant ones take a second look.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Busco, now it makes a little more sense. I refuse to ride there, bad rep has made it's way to Jacksonville. Bike stolen? Check Busco, they might have left it there. I am sure that there are good people there, but the others spoil it for all.

megdoeshair

Sep 28, 2009
Busco is definitely.. uh.. interesting.
We used to just go to the track by our house but when they stopped letting quads practice there the family was splitting up for our traditional Sunday rides so we had to figure something out.. unfortunately that something was Busco!

RoadDawg

Jul 10, 2009
He can be glad that you weren't my wife. He'd have gotten an ass beating ! Sounds to me like he was jealous and probably suffering from some type of envy... Don't think all of us guys are like this.. I am new to riding and I have respect for anyone who rides, especially when they've been riding their whole life..

I have had my wife riding her bike in the mountains and if anyone did that to her, I would kick their ass !

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Well, ya see, a large percentage of kwad riders are real peices of work. Hence the swim trunks and tank top riding gear. They don't have use of a large portion of thier brains which causes them to do really stupid, enexplainable things like cutting donuts in the gravel in the pits throwing rocks and dust everywhere and ramming innocent people as they ride by. This is probly the reason the good track near you banned kwads. Just convince the kwad riders in the family to give up on them and take up something fun, dirt bikes. Then you go to the track and never have to worry about another kwad.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I've only ever had encouragement, and know that a lot of women have seen me out having fun and taken up the sport themselves. I used to have no one to ride with, but that'ss no longer the case.
I do know someone who had guys intimidating her because she wore pink & had a lot on her bike. She commented to me that she'd never go for pink again. Then again, she was quick, whereas I just plod along.
Sounds like it really was a-hole day there (and that it ussually is).
I do like to make a point of saying thank-you for guys that are polite & move over to let me past (seems pointless to me, because chances are we're going about the same speed or they'll just go past me anyways). If guys are stuck somewhere I didn't have any problems, I also like to stop or comment as I go past, just so they know they got wasted by a useless old woman ;) (hey, it doesn't happen often, so I need some satisfaction in my riding).

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
The guy must be on a regular diet of 151 moonshine that was made in a still built using cheap lead solder, 70 % of shine has lead in it, according to the discovery channel. :|
That might explain the rational behind his actions, a brain full of lead...
Regards, Porkchop

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Sad to hear this type of thing happens. The jerks that ran you off the track and the megajerk that ran into you are probably just jealous that you are a better rider. If all else fails, remember their plate numbers, befriend some of the local talent ... they will be more than happy to go stuff the jerks in a few corners and teach them a lesson.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Note to self, never ride at that track, and NEVER pizz off Porkchop! Frigging quad guys, Joe and Porkchop have it nailed. Get more pink, and go ride with FruDaddy. I would have went straight over there with back up, and the harbor freight 1/2 torque wrench. Its the only thing its good for, hammer heads! Vintage Bob

Apr 30, 2007
Far out. This would be completely unheard of in my small neck of the woods. One of our lady riders battles it out with the guys and has been knocked off the track once in a race. The kid that did it went right over the berm with her though, and I believe that he learned his lesson.

I don't wear much pink gear just yet. I haven't found any that I really like. Not too many of the other chicks wear a lot of pink around here yet either (one pink helmet and gloves on one my fellow woman's class racers) However the races wouldn't change much if we did.

If it ever happened during a practice, or non-competitive circumstances, there would be much trouble for the guy.

Heck, if it happens twice, go after the guy. Grab him by the helmet (make sure you hold on plenty tight! The chinbar is especially effective...) and shake his head around and kick him in the knees with your boots on. Scream angry things directly in his face and make all the eye contact you can. You're wearing full gear, and it sounded like he wasn't. If he's stupid enough to try punch you with your chest protector on, he'll only hurt himself. Draw as much attention to what happened as you can.

Write down his number and anything else you can identify him by. Leave a complaint and information with the track owners. Riders like that are only helping close riding areas and tracks all the more quickly and easily.

Wear as much pink as you want :) We'll back you up.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
An appropriate responce

Hello Justalonewolf 007, That be some serious minnesota attitude, I like it ! :yell:
The face mask tactic is clean & very effective, thats why it be bad when used in football, but... on a race track or in the pits, moto does not have any rules that are going to get you thrown out of the game.
What's fair is fair, you go girl! Best Regards, Porkchop

Apr 30, 2007
Greetings and salutations Porkchop. Here in MN we do have to keep up a little extra chutzpa in order to deal with the long cold winters. Occasionally it sneaks out in other seasons.

Again, what happened is definitely not right in any way shape or form. There is a difference between giving a comrade rider a little wheel bump and a goofy grin (yes, dudes will hit on you this way), and utter jerkism.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
To a new minnesotan pal,

Hey 007! I like folks who see it like it is, no mater where they call home.
We just lost a good friend that was from St. Paul, he was an old sprint car racer, turned pro stock drag bike racer for kawi in the mid 80's. He won twice at Indy, once at gator nationals & once at winter nationals out here at Pamona, Tom Baumann was his name. He was one of my best pals & special effects co-workers. He & I got along well, do to the same type of tude, when needed. If Meg -D- Hair gave that bozo a one way ticket to Minn. in the dead of winter, his own ignorance combined with the weather would cleanse his part of the gene pool.
There is no replacing Mr. B, but it warms my heart to meet a new pal from one of he more righteous states in our country, stay warm & keep it shinney side up. Best Regards, Porkchop :cool:
P.S. Good manners & common courtesy, is always a better way to make friends, as opposed to brake checking, tire bumping, or body slamming.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2007
To clarify - tire bumping for me occurs only off the track, and never enough to tip a bike or rider over (unless I manage to tip myself over. That happens a lot.). There are only a few riders I'll do that to, and they know when it's coming.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…