2 B

Aug 31, 2000
I was wondering where everybody sets there shift lever height? When riding in the stand up(attack postion) postion. Do you wan't it below the peg or above the peg. Should it be set like the brake lever. Level with the top of the peg? I having trouble here and I can't find a happy medium. It is ether too low to( have to bring foot way down to put under lever)shift. scared of hitting something wth my toes and I don't have a great support for my feet. Riding on edge of front foot peg. Or it is too high(great support for my foot)but strain when shifting up.Seems I find nuetral real easy with set too high. Your help would be great. Thanks

stangmata23l

Mar 14, 2002
You can probably guess that there is no set adjustment but let me tell you what I found works best for me. Put your foot level with the ground, then tilt your foot down a few inches. There is where your adjuster should be set at free position. Thats the best I can do...go from there.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
When I took a Gary Semics authorized class from Ike Dejagger, the first thing he had everyone do was setup their controls properly. His explanation was that if the controls weren't in the right place, there was no way your body could be.

He had us setup the shifter level with (or just slightly higher than) the footpeg.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
That Ike guy is playing hard to get(lol). I've called him, left messages, and emailed him and havent heard back from him since! (I left the message 2 weeks ago and sent the email 9 days ago)
Any tips in catching up with him?

i set my shift lever so that it is just above the peg

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
He frequently has people from all over (including other countries) that come and spend a week or two with him travelling around to different tracks to learn different things.

You might want to try to get in touch with the Gary Semics schools HQ (in OH, I think) directly. They would know his schedule and could get you in touch with him. Their website is www.gsmxs.com

KLX_BOY

Feb 2, 2002
Shift Lever?

I came off my KLX the other day and it bent the shifter.
I bent i back into place when i got home then rode off again to the place where i practise. I set the brake lever so that it was above the peg but now when i jump most of the time my foot just hits the shift lever softly and it knocks the gear down and it is very frustrating sometimes.
I suggest going with whats comfortable.

Scott (15) :aj:

Yoken

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
I like my shifter slightly higher than the peg. I just checked it after reading the above posts. The bottom of the shifter is level with the peg.

My Tech8 boots are quite thick and I need some room there to go easily under the shifter, especially when standing. When sitting foreward, I have to use my hole leg for the upshift. I can not reach the shifter only by moving my ankle (not enough flex in the boots...).

With your shifter a bit up, downshifting when breaking (standing) is also a lot easier...

For information, my '99 KX250 was hard to shift in stock form. Powershifting from 2nd to 3rd was impossible, even when using my whole leg! So I sanded a bit the star mechanism of the transmission and it helped a lot.

Try, feel, adjust ... and have fun!

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
anyone have a problem with their shift lever being prone to loosening and slipping down a few notches? I do and it's frustrating, but if I try to tighten them to where they feel nice and tight then the bolt snaps. This has been a problem on both YZ's that I have owned, thanks

Top Bottom