dirtbikedan

Dec 4, 2002
My '99 KDX200 seems to hit nuetral awful easy when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Luckily I haven't done this going up a hill yet, but was wondering if there is any way of adjusting the "throw" of the shifts, so that there isn't alot of room in between shifts. My uncles KDX doesn't seem to do this so I'm sure this isn't common on all of them. Hope this makes sense. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yeah it does. First to 2nd is the longest shift as you have to pass the neutral position on the shift drum. It is also the most violent, torque-wise. Let’s hope you haven’t got any damage & try the simple stuff first.

Look at your shift lever. Is it tight on the shaft? Is the shaft straight (look for wobble when you push on the lever). Is the lever adjusted so you boot can shift it easily? Is it bent enough to rub against anything during it’s movement (which is further 1-2nd so might not show up in later gears).

Try another gear oil, something like spectro, which seems to help shifting.

Failing that get back to us & I will elaborate on the things you don’t want to be wrong.

dirtbikedan

Dec 4, 2002
Thank you, I will check those out tomorrow. It seems to shift fine otherwise, and the bike hasn't been raced or anything - to my knowledge.

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
I've got the same issue with my 2000 KDX 200. I find myself hitting neutral a lot when I'm upshifting. I've not found a real good solution other than to shift *firm* (to the point of jerking the lever with my foot). The 1st-2nd throw is long, and I've got a range-of-motion problem with my left ankle anyway. As such, shifting properly is a bit more difficult for me than for most people. I end up lifting my whole leg at the knee in an almost knee-jerk motion.

In the stock location, the lever is almost too high for me to be able to reach with my toe. This is where I have the most missed-shifts. I've rotated the lever 1 tooth down. At that point to get better leverage and the missed shifts start to go away. However, then it's almost too low for me to get my toe under the lever. The end of the lever kind of digs into the side of my boot. I'm also concerned about trapping my foot between the lever and a root/rock/rut/etc, with the lowered lever.

I'll play with it more as I ride it more.

Brandon

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
There was a good thread recently about a trans mod that will fix you right up (in the KDX forum)
I run Mobil 1 15W50 in my trans & it shifts great for about 100 miles; then, like clock work I start missing 2nd; after changing fluid, bike shifts great again
I can't figure out why, but it has been doing this consistantly for the last year
If you use Mobil 1 you must use the 15w50 weight as the other grades have friction modifiers that will make the clutch slip :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom