noobynoobs

Feb 12, 2007
As you can see by my name I am completely new to the world of motocross. I am wanting to buy a bike, and test ride it. I want to check all gears, but I don't know how to shift. I have been looking on the internet for this for some time but could never find it. I am sorry in advance :bang: for my stupidity.

Cr 1_2_5

Nov 13, 2005
First of all bikes dont have reverse. First what your going to want to do after the bike is running is pull the clutch all the way in. Thats the lever on the left. you will see two levers by rour feet. One is a break (right) one is the shifter (left). You want to push the shifter down for 1st gear while the clutch is in. Once your in gear you want to let out the clutch very slowly(to fast the bike will die) as your letting it out give the bike a little gas and you should be on your way. once you want to shift back off the gas plull the clutch in and pull the shifter up now your in second gearle the clutch back out and get back on the gas. and so on.

motoman880

Feb 2, 2007
and if you buy a new bike dont ride hard if it is a 2 stroke my cuz did that and it blew the top end in the first like hour i would give it at least a full tank before u realy get on it

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
motoman880 said:
and if you buy a new bike dont ride hard if it is a 2 stroke my cuz did that and it blew the top end in the first like hour i would give it at least a full tank before u realy get on it
to translate:
motoman8080 using language that is more easily understood said:
If one purchases a new motorcycle one shant operate it in an abusive manner, especially if it is a two cycle engine. I operated my dirt bike in that manner and the cylinder exploded in the first hour of operation. I believe one should expend an entire tank of gasoline -- mixed in the proper ratio with two cycle oil, of course -- before operating the motorcycle in the higher revolution-per-minute ranges.

B

biglou

And speaking of, "your/you're" "to/too" "break/brake". All different words. All different meanings. Not interchangeable...

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Give him a brake and I bet he stops it. :whoa:

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Cracks me up. On one of the new American Idiot (idol) episodes, there was a family standing by the stage door waiting on their pride and joy to come out. They had a big ol' sign (and this is for real), that said

"(NAME HERE) IS ARE NEXT AMERICAN IDOL!!!".

noobynoobs

Feb 12, 2007
Thanks for the help but I am still unclear on one thing. When shifting 2nd gear and up do you kick the shift lever up towards the sky or forward to the front of the bike?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
noobynoobs said:
Thanks for the help but I am still unclear on one thing. When shifting 2nd gear and up do you kick the shift lever up towards the sky or forward to the front of the bike?
you just pivot your ankle and move the lever up with your toe.

It's really quite simple once you get the hang of it.

rjl250

Oct 18, 2004
If you have never ridden before I would suggest getting someone a little more experienced to test ride the bike. Not that I want to discourage you, but operating a dirtbike is slightly more tricky than it might appear. Without seat time even if you don't crash someone's bike into something, how are you going to know if everything is working correctly? Once this trustworthy person has o.k.'d it, take your new bike out into a grassy field with no obstacles and learn the art of the clutch. I don't doubt your ability, but most people crash almost immediately after taking off the first time so it's good to be away from anything hard, immoveable, or expensive. Good luck.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom