HartlandMI

Nov 13, 2008
Sorry, this may be a dumb one...

Some of my friends were saying I'm going to ruin my clutch because a lot of the time I only use the clutch for 1st gear or down shifting several gears at a time. For example, from 2nd to 3rd I just get off the gas and shift, no clutch involved. I think this is normal, it won't hurt anything, and my friends are idiots. Am I wrong?

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I've always used the clutch when it was convenient. If it's not convenient, I don't use it. I have never had any ill effects.

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
From a mechanic's point of view, as long as you are unloading the gear before you shift, you won't hurt it. But if it is banging into the next gear, you aren't unloading it and damage WILL occur it will just take time to develop.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
In answer to your question, you won't ruin your clutch by not using it, but you are more likely to do damage to your transmission by not using the clutch. That doesn't mean you will damage a gear, but the odds are increased. I try to always use my clutch. Clutch plates are cheap and simple to replace. Transmission parts, not so easy and not so cheap.
With the exception of racing or serious race practice, I really can't see why anyone can't use their clutch on almost every shift. It's so imbedded in me after many years of riding, I have to consciously not use the clutch.
Still, there are plenty of riders that seldom use their clutch with little if any ill effects.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
Once it's moving I rarely use the clutch on my 120 HP/70 FT-LB Aprilia Tuono.67 thousand miles and no problems.I are a bike mechanic too.Like I said earlier don't miss the shift.

Top Bottom