keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
Im looking at a used bike and I noticed there was a small amount of oil at the bottom of the monoshock shaft. the suspension still felt fine, but I couldnt jump the bike so i really couldnt tell. Im guessing this is a sign of it needing a rebuild, but I wanted to check with you guys first. there shouldnt be any oil at all there, correct?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I cover my bike in wd40 after washing it-maybe its that but more likely its in need of a rebiuld-showa shocks tend to do this in cold weather and are fine in the warm.

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
marcus you say the showas tend to leak in cold temps will it go away when it warms up or does it still need of service ( curious! )

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
From what i have read they tend to stop leaking when it warms up-the seal must be a bit too stiff when cold.Im guessing the gas pressure must drop a tiny bit as they leak out oil.

TRAIL

Nov 12, 2002
My shock on my 2001 CR 250 done the same thing right after i bought. The dealer covered the cost to fix it but now 2 weeks later it is leaking. I noticed a nic in the shock shaft itself, this is probably tearing the seal. I priced a shock shaft from service honda and its $160.00. Is there any other alternatives?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Trail, I think the shaft can be recoated. Not sure on the price. I once fsanded a nick out of the shaft on my old DR 350. The shock worked as well as it ever did after rebuilding and smoothing the scratch. This mean it sucked, but it did anyway!

Esp1

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 14, 2001
Only solution for this cold weather problems is to change to an MX-Tech seal head. They use a quad ring just as WP and Øhlins.

An other bonus is that they are a wet bush design.......

Know from experience, minus 22 degrees Celcius here this morning :moon:

BR

Esp1

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 14, 2001
Trail,

I'm not quite sure, you have to ask them. I believe the part itself retails for $49,-

BR

yitsock

Nov 19, 2002
A buddy and myself raced arenacross this weekend and his bike (03 KX250) was just oozing oil out of the shock... He didn't even race his bike for fear that he'd mess it all up due to lack of oil... It was about 20 degrees (F) outside.

Top Bottom