tcaron

Feb 23, 2003
Can anyone tell me if it is neccessary to grind off the peening of a KYB shock (96 KDX) to replace the seal and bushing? Seems that removing the clevis end should be sufficient but that would require moving the new seal over the shaft threads. The treads seem smaller in diameter than the shaft. As an experiment I have tried "threading" the (old) seal on over the threads like a nut - this does not seem too stressful for the seal probably much easier/safer than grinding the peening off. Any advice?

Thanks for your help,

Tom Caron
[email protected]

tcaron

Feb 23, 2003
KYB shock rebuilding

Can anyone tell me if it is neccessary to grind off the peening of a KYB shock (96 KDX) to replace the seal and bushing? Seems that removing the clevis end should be sufficient but that would require moving the new seal over the shaft threads. The treads seem smaller in diameter than the shaft. As an experiment I have tried "threading" the (old) seal on over the threads like a nut - this does not seem too stressful for the seal probably much easier/safer than grinding the peening off. Any advice?

Thanks for your help,

Tom Caron
[email protected]

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
You have to grind off the peening to get the nut off that holds on the piston. It sounds like you already have the nut off so don't grind anymore. Race Tech has a special tool called a bullet that slips right over those threads & is tapered --just like a bullet and makes installing the new seal a breeze. You can also wrap the thread area with electrical or duct tape to achieve the same result. just wrap it up to the same diameter as the rest of the shaft [12mm], twist the top to a point, grease it & slide on the seal

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom