Techfreak

Aug 25, 2002
Hello everybody, hello MarcusGunby
I still have some trouble with my shock and I need some help to fix it.
the original compression stack was :
40 .1 (5)
40 .2 (7)
32 .1
26 .1
38 .25
36 .25
34 .25
32 .25
30 .25
28 .25
26 .25
25 .25
24 .25
I changed it. I removed (3) 40 .2 from LSC and I removed the 25 .25 and added 23 .25 as clamp shim in the HSC stack. So I think the shock was better but not perfect and so I soften the LSC once more. I removed (2) 40 .1 and the 32; 26 .1 from the LSC and added a 25 .25 (crossover) in order to soften it more. I was curious about the effect on damping.
Now the shock felt good through acceleration bumps (better than before) but overall my shock is too soft and the rebound feels terrible! The shock kicks hard over the take off of jumps and braking bumps (starting from the first bump) in fast sections. Is this LSR or HSR? I closed the rebound adjuster till the shock doesn’t kick too much. But on Kayaba shocks the rebound damping influences the compression damping a lot. So again the shock is too hard or too slow to follow the acceleration bumps and I so I lost the soft response at the beginning of the damper stroke and traction. :-(
I guess this effect grounds on the too soft compression stack. The shock dives deeper than before and loads the spring more. So the rebound stack is too soft to damp the rebound movement …
After all the last change wasn’t successful. So I will try it again. But I need help and tips before.
I’m looking for an solution. I ride a 125 and have a 4.8 std shock spring.
Maybe the rebound stack causes problems too. I can’t compare the stack to an other. Rebound stack:
36 .2 (5)
28 .1
36 .3 (2)
34 .3
32 .3
30 .3
28 .3
26 .3
24 .3
23 .3
I don’t know. Maybe I should try a 3 stage compression stack for good responsibility at the begin … and maybe I have to change the rebound stack too. Maybe the LSR is too stiff and/or the HSR is too soft. I don’t know. Before the last and unlucky change I ran the adjuster around the standard position. I only know that I have to stiffen the LSC.
Much thanks ahead!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
That rebound stack should have plenty of damping-im not sure what the problem is but i wouldnt think its valving.I wonder if the piston ring is worn and oil is bypassing the piston?im guessing here and i think we need others to give suggestions.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
The shocks packing and Tf thinks its kicking.. That is a CRAZY configuration, classcially designed by the inexspereinced. (Including myself a longtime) We reduce low speed thinking that will improve the the suspension and then add highspeed.. This will blow through the travle pack. As you know I don't like these types of thread already, but I will offer this advice. Your better going back to stock, I promise it will work better over all.

Try reducing high speed compression and rebound, you'll not find any answers by sofeting low speed compression.

Sorry for the harsh words... Its cool!
BR,
Jer

Top Bottom