LEE BAXTER

~SPONSOR~
Dec 2, 2002
When you go on certain website you can get spring rates for bike and weight .When they say 4.5 for the rear and you can only get 4.4 or 4.6 which do you go for ?

Luft

Dec 24, 2002
I went to a certain website and checked their spring rates, then I spoke with my suspension tuner who is a real person in the real world and he made a diiferent recommendation. Ask a qualified tuner before you invest in springs.

MSracer

~SPONSOR~
Feb 5, 2003
I ride off road and there are always things that add to the weight like extra gas , drink system and sometimes tools for the long rides/races.

What were his reasons for going lighter?

LEE BAXTER

~SPONSOR~
Dec 2, 2002
There are not to many suspension tuners who will help in England. The site I went on was Race Tech. It seems to be the most useful to me but Race Tech is in USA and I am in England.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Lee i wouldnt worry about a rate difference of 0.1kg/mm as the springs do have a tolerance so you dont get exactly what you think anyway.As long as you are close, the adjustments available on a shock should give improved performance:)

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
Marcus,

That's a great reply and the reason I think so is this: I've worked at places that sell springs to retail customers and every-so-often you get the clown who buys a spring and then takes it to another shop to get it "rated". For example, you sell the guy a 5.6kg spring. Then a week later he calls and says "hey, the spring you sold me isn't really what it's supposed to be! So-and-so put it on their spring tester and said it was a 5."whatever"! I want my money back!".

Well, number one - there is a tolerance of +/- 10% on all springs. And, I'll believe what the manufacturer of the spring tells me it is over "so-and-so's" spring tester any day.
Number two: Who's to say "so-and-so's" spring tester is correct in the first place? Yeah, right - the answer is always, "we have our tester certified three times a month". Sure you do..........
Number three: Spring testers are usually a joke anyway. No two will ever give you the same reading, so why would it read what the manufacturer of the spring says it is?

Bottom line: If you buy a spring made by a reputable (operative word) spring maker, you should be able to trust what the marking on the spring says it is. The spring is designed (by wire diameter, number of coils, etc.) to be a certain rate and if you figure in production tolerances, it usually is within those boundaries.

Second bottom line: If the spring gives you the sag numbers you're looking for, what else matters?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom