rocket1243

Jan 3, 2003
I'm new here looking for a ride. anyway a good friend of mine (who works for the local honda shop) told me he could get me a good condition 250EXC for 800 but it needs between 400 and 600 dollars worth of parts. Top end, bearings, crankshaft seals?, and some small stuff. And that we could do all the labor ourselves. So lets say if you could buy a 97 250exc for 1300 (800 for the bike 500 for the parts) would you do it? I plan on going to look at this bike later in the week. Is there anything that I should Know about these bikes? I am not new to dirt riding, but have been out of the sport for 7 or so years. I do have a large base of friends that can help me though. And I have been riding street for the last 8 years, I ride a 929 right now. Any advice about the bike or anything else would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Josh

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
that's a good bike, i have 1. it is wider & heavier than the newer 1s, but quite raceable/rideable. i will be selling mine, so if that deal falls thru, let me know if you want.

rocket1243

Jan 3, 2003
Thanks for the reply, lawman! How much do you think you'll want for yours? Anyway I was somewhat concerned about a KTM because I don't know much about the euro bikes, and couldn't find much info about that particular year on the web. Send me an e-mail with pics, price, and any other info. Since your in Tenn. it wouldn't be that far a trip for me to come look at it.

motext

Apr 3, 2003
From 1997 ´til today there were only minor changes on the engine, making it a little more reliable. But even the elder ones were good and stable engines.

You should tell what parts have to be renewed. And you should ask your friend, where the damages come from. If one takes care of his bike, he should be able to give a reasonable answer.

I wouldn´t buy a bike from that I know it has to be repaired for another 600-700 bucks. Especially not from a friend if I want to stay friend with him. But it´s your choice.

Nevertheless 1300 - like you count - would be a very low price, even in Europe you can pay more than double for that bike (in good condition).

Top Bottom