pinhead_3090

Nov 5, 2004
My friend has a 1980 RM125 and he is selling it all that it needs is a new exhaust gasket and break cables. I was wondering if it would be worth buying off him for $200 or if it is just too old. Thanks

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I had one of those and within a year it broke 3 throttle cables yea it gave me a couple of good scares to boot cause of that the most notable being 5th gear wide open (Broken cable) it balled up inside the throttle housing and I couldn't turn it back to shut it off as i'm heading dead on for 2 big evergreen trees. Other wise everything else was okay, of course parts will be hard to find it's 20+ years old, if ya get it do yourself a big favor an change the throttle housing!

Speeed

Proud American
Jul 4, 2004
I read this thread earlier today but was on my way out the door so I couldnt reply,
I have an 80 RM125 in my garage. I have not had the trouble described by MXP1MP, in fact the thing has been unbelievably reliable.
but I think the most important question here is "what do you want to do with the bike?"
if your looking for something to cut your teeth on and do some recreational trail riding then the 80 RM is fine. but if your looking to hit up the local mx track and maybe break into a little FMX this is not the bike for you. I have rode my 2000 YZ and the 1980 RM back to back. the bandwidth I could use telling you the differece between them is gross. so I think your purpose and not the price should be your deciding factor. as also has been mentioned keep in mind that parts are not very easy to find for these bikes
personally I'd hold out for something a bit more modern but if ya just gotta ride, go for it!

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Wow, I had one of those too! It had Fox Airshox on it. Anyone remember those? I didn't have any trouble with the throttle either. It was very fast. Like speeed said, wether or not you want to buy it depends on what you want it for. If you just want to putt around, it would be OK, but if you want to do some serious riding just keep saving for something at least 1990's. I remember that bike had scary handling and really crummy brakes.

pinhead_3090

Nov 5, 2004
Thanks alot guys you were a huge help. All I want it for is just to putt around with my friends my dad wrote off my 4-wheeler last spring and i was looking for something and like the second i decided on getting a new bike a dirtbike was the first thing that popped inot my mind. Thanks alot again

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
You could race an 80 rm125, but I wouldn't put it on a modern track. I don't know how far you might have to go to find a vintage motocross race. There might be some in Maine? You could check AHRMA.org for races they sanction. There are AHRMA regional races in addition to their national series.

Top Bottom