Should I buy a 250 or 450 four stroke?

EZ3SFFJ

Apr 22, 2009
I wish there was a newb section so I could ask this question.

I am about to buy my first PERSONAL bike. I have ridden a few dirt bikes and have two sport bikes. I am trying to decide between a 250 or 450 but only want a four stroke. I am confident on a sport bike and ride pretty aggressive. I know ill be the same when it comes to MX. Go big or go home. My friend that races is all for the 450 and I am definitely leaning towards that because I know ill get use to it quickly. About me:

22 y/o
185 lbs/6'0
I live down the street from a MX track and it also has 15 acres of trails. I'll mainly be on the track because I would like to start racing but ill do the occasional trails with my wife. In the end, my goal is to get into a few races by mid fall to winter.

The races are open to 250s and 450s against each other so I want to be able to keep up. I know its all about the rider but thats just another factor on my mind. Whatcha think?

FOR THE WIFE

This will be her first bike and she is a little extreme women too. Shes ridden quads a good amount of times but only a few times on a dirt bike. I want to either get her a 150 or 230 dirt bike. She will be out on the track a lot with me but with a totally different mind set and I know she wont get crazy but she can definitely pick up things fast and handle her own. She wants to race too but on a lower level. She weighs about 120 and is 5'7/5'8. I was thinking about getting her a bike with an electric start so she doesn't get frustrated on hard days and she can just push a button. Also factoring that the 150 weighs about 70 pounds less but I want her to feel content with the power. Help and thanks in advance!

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I would recommend a 250 four stroke. I just started riding again after about a 10 year layoff. I rode from age 9 to about 25. The technology, especially on the 4 strokes is much different than it used to be. The XR500 that I rode when I was younger would get eaten up by my YZ400F that I have today. The reason I am telling you all of this is that I was surprised in the amount of power the 400 has. Granted, I havent ridden in a while, but I consider myself somewhat of an experienced rider. Trust me, go with the 250, it will plenty of power for you. When your skills progress, you can always sell it and upgrade. As for the wife, I would recommend the 150 for the same reasons. Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom