team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
I have a 96 KDX200 with 220 kit with every mod you can think of and was wodering if i should keep the RAD valve because i've heard that they dont do anything to the KDX if you ride woods?

I ride michigan woods

what do you think?

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
Yeah, the definitely help out. I have one on my 93 and it helps a lot and all I ride is woods.

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
took it out last night and change the pilot jet and replaced the stock needle with the BEL needle.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
they dont do anything to the KDX if you ride woods?

That is an incorrect statement, imo. Maybe oregon woods are different??;)

I'm sure there are cases where riders couldn't tell the difference between a rad valve in or out. That's not imo. There was a difference in my bike between OEM and power reeds, and a difference between power reeds and the rad valve, imo.

If you want bottom end effect, the deltaforceII set to low tension is superior to anything else.......thassa fact!

imo.......;)

Last edited:

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
thanks canyncarvr

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
andrew~
first post 6-17 second post 6-18
I had time to think about it and where i ride you need torque. whats it going to hurt.

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
I like the Power Reeds (cheap & easy), but have you seen the new Boyesen RAD3 3 stage reed block. Looks very cool with small reeds on top for low end and 2 additional stages for higher RPM's. Probably too soon to tell if they work well on the KDX. I don't know if they're even available for the KDX. FYO.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
Team-green, sorry mate, didn't mean to take the mickey, your choice of course.
But, IMO, having a rad valve isn't going to hurt your torque. I have one and my bike pulls hard and clean all through the rev range.
But, why don't you do some comparisons yourself. It's not that hard or time-consuming to swap your reeds over...

regards,

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
But, why don't you do some comparisons yourself. It's not that hard or time-consuming to swap your reeds over...

Couple of things. You aren't going to swap reeds over if the radvalve is the question. Carbon are the only type that come with/for the radvalve as far as I know. 'Sides that, if a bike HAS a radvalve in it, maybe the current owner doesn't have another cage to change TO.

team green: You mentioned taking out the radvalve. That means you put the stock cage back in? You're aware that the reed stops used on the rad valve are NOTthe stops to use on the stock cage? If the stock cage was in pieces and that's what you put back in, maybe you didn't put the OEM stops back with it? If you didn't, I'd advise taking the OEM cage out soonest. Those reeds aren't meant to work with no (effectively what the radvalve stops amount to) stops. Not good to break one and get it stuck in deep dark places.

Want moto tassinari's number........??;)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
The OEM was a complete assembley and looked to be almost brand new. the rad valve had some kind of plastic reeds in it? they also looked to be in very good condition. have only been able to start the bike, no time latey to ride do to baseball games :<( but she started great and ran very smooth! the bike definitely had a different sound to her.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Has there been a shift in the time-space continuum?

Is marlin responding to team green's reed swap? The sigs are kinda too similar.

...HHhmmm...did I read somewhere that team-green and marlin are the same, but different PCs or something?

Help me. I've fallen and can't find my beer!!

radvalve with 'some kinda plastic' reeds? They are carbon fiber (black). Remember a recent post about reeds being ordered for a radvalve that came with incorrect mounting holes drilled (2 instead of 3 or somesuch)? Maybe your radvalve issue is a problem with some non-standard reeds?

Of course, NOW you'll say it came straight from jeffery that way!

Honestly...put in that DFII set to 'low' tension. If you don't like it, I'll buy you a case of beer!

(no warranty expressed or implied, objects in mirror are closer than they appear, some states give you additional rights that may not be directly stated, proof of purchase required, sugar free, carbohydrate rich, fat free, may cause gas or bloating, a tendency toward oily discharges with an inability to control them.)
;)

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
OK, I give. What is so great about the Delta Force Reed cage and reeds? Is it something that will only benifit the lower end throttle response and grunt? Is there any effect to midband and up? What? How much? Where can you get them?

FYI: I'm running RB carb, stock reedcage and Boyesen 607 power reeds on a stock ported 220. Seems to work pretty good but I don't ride in mountains or greasly slimey slop much either. MI has fast singletrack, sandy whoops that will swallow you whole and lotsa 2-3-4 and sometimes 5th gear riding. Would they be worth it?

BTW: teamgreen 32 is marlin's son.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
There are in fact two types of reeds available for the Rad Valve.
Plastic: RL-16
Carbon fiber: Pro-54
Heard it from the horse's mouth.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Has there been a shift in the time-space continuum?
Is marlin responding to team green's reed swap? The sigs are kinda too similar
...HHhmmm...did I read somewhere that team-green and marlin are the same, but different PCs or something?
yes no maybe, well kinda. just watch out for the black helicopters? T/G32 is my son, he's the fastguy & I'm his mechanic.
radvalve with 'some kinda plastic' reeds? They are carbon fiber (black).
honest dad there white plastic reeds. :confused:

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
yeah 70 marlins my dad and the witch doctor for my bike. :smile:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: what Mr Ed sez

It's always good to go directly to the source!!;)

re: FredT 'gives'
Ha!
It's the 'two' part of the DeltaForceII that's the critical difference. When you buy one, make sure it's a II, that it's light grey in color, that it DOES have adjustable reed tension.

What got my interest in the first place was looking at two cages, from the same type bike ('00 200 kdxs), ridden the same hours, same places. The boyesen radvalve reeds were toast. Cracked, chipped, split, frayed and otherwise crappo. The DFII reeds looked brand new.

I had the opportunity sometime later to try the DFII in my bike and was impressed with the difference. Originally set to 'hi' tension, the bottom end improved, the top end to a larger extent. Not needing to scream at max rpm/mph anywhere 'round here, I tried the 'lo' tension setting and found that to be THE ticket for smooth power delivery off the bottom, pull down low that previously didn't exist. You 220 types maybe don't realize the extent to which those 20ccs (well, and port timing and smaller carb) are a huge difference over the 200.

For no other reason than the reeds lasting much longer I'd want the DFII. But there's more to it than that.

Notice that the radvalve price has dropped about $30 of late? Wonder why?

Any dealer can get you the DFII. You can check it out @:

http://www.mototassinari.com/

..if you wanna.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
jrs bike now has most of the bottom back, with the stock reeds in. nice smooth power off throttle.

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
yeah, the power is almost 4 stroke like on the bottom end now.

logs........bottom end..........fun........

Top Bottom