THill

Oct 24, 2007
Guys i bought a bone stock 05 220 that was in pretty good shape but for some normal upkeep, clean gas, air filter cleaned , trans oil changed...Found the spark plug to be my biggest problem that was keeping it from winding out, sounded like it had a rev limiter in it..After that i did the air box deal, removed the snorkel and then drilled 4 1 inch holes in the lid and installed Uni air box vents, that helped out performance alittle bit but still had that little bit of pause in the throttle right before the power really kicks in. So next i dropped the needle 1 postion" 2nd from the top" and that picked me up alittle more snap but still lacking just abit, but alot better than when i started...Next im thinking of dropping the pilot jet down 1 size, BUT im also planing on a pipe and muffler combo soon, SO do you guys think i should wait for the pipe/muffler combo before dropping the pilot jet or do you think it would be ok to do it before....

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
I'd say that if the bike is running good enough to put up with, wait until you get the pipe and silencer to replace the jets, because once you get your pipe on, you'll feel a big power difference. And the rejet you just did will be useless. That is unless you will be riding a ton between now and when you get your new pipe. Then I say rejet now and see if it helps.

Also, was the spark plug problem because the owner was running a 9ES instead of an 8? You see that related to the problems you were having a lot.

BTW, what type of pipe and silencer are you getting. Just curious...

THill

Oct 24, 2007
Yes i think the plug was just to cold a plug for the " putting " around he was doing..
I don't think he had a good place to open it up..Id say if he would have been doing a lot of WFO riding the plug would have been alright, But the plug was pretty black when i took it out. The dirty air filter id say didn't help out too...

Im look very hard at getting the FMF Rev pipe and the Turbine Core ll silencer, anyone got any comments about this combo on the 220 ? I'll be mostly trail riding, don't think i'll see much wide open stuff...

This is my first dirt bike i've bought in almost 30 years guys and im tickled to death with it...Thanks for the info and input.....

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
Read this excerpt from JustKDX about torque and rev pipes for 200's and 220's and then make your decision. Especially the last paragraph.

JustKDX Tech Tips said:
Some tips on choosing the right pipe for you riding conditions -

If you are riding in tight trees, mountainous areas or in high load conditions such as sand or mud and find you spend much of your time in forth gear or lower then I would suggest the torque pipe. The strong bottom end pull offered by the torque pipe is to your advantage and you may find the more abrupt mid range hit of the rev pipe requires more clutch work in the tight trees and the rear wheel is more likely to break loose and spin in slick/rocky areas where the bike is searching for traction.

A rev pipe is a good choice for those who spend more of their time in third to sixth gear and ride in fast open areas and are looking for a strong mid range hit and better top end power.

When selecting a pipe it is important to remember where you would like the most power focused. A torque pipe will steal a little top end power in trade for improved bottom end performance. The reverse is true for a rev pipe. A torque pipe will allow the KDX to pull hard off the bottom with a less abrupt mid range hit than the rev pipe. The rev pipe gives up some bottom end power and has a more abrupt, authoritative midrange hit and more top end power. Either pipe will make more power everywhere when compared to the stock pipe.

Its important to note that because of differences in port timing the KDX200 and 220 don't react the same to each pipe. Both the FMF pipes and the Pro Circuit pipe were originally designed to be used on the KDX200. Installing a Torque pipe on a KDX200 will improve performance over the stock pipe from idle to wide open throttle. However installing a torque pipe on a KDX220 will improve performance from idle to about 7500 rpm then fall flat just like the stock pipe with no meaningful increase in over rev or higher rpm performance. If you're looking to improve your 220's power delivery from the bottom to top end then a rev pipe is a must. You'll often see the FMF KG-30 advertised as a rev pipe for the 200 and as a torque pipe for the 220 for this very reason. The torque pipe is still a viable choice for 220 owners who focus the majority of their riding in tight technical conditions or for those who want to maximize bottom to mid performance and are willing to give up some upper mid to top end performance in trade.

THill

Oct 24, 2007
Thanks motox for the reply..
For now i'll have to wait for a pipe, did order a skid plate and silencer from FRP..
It looks like i will go ahead with a down size pilot jet, so can anyone tell me what the stock jet size is ?...

Top Bottom