vampirsoul87

Dec 9, 2009
hey all
THis my story short and sweet

Mechanic does top end on 450x and he check left and right crankcase

mechanic doesnt tighten the timing plug on left crankcase

Timing plug comes off during 30mile treck and spills oil and gets dirt in left crank case

Didnt notice til end of 30 mile ride..

Is he liabile to come over and clean the left crankcase or what should he ahve to do.. or is it my fault for not noticing while riding trails..

thanks

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Maybe you kicked it loose with your boot and didn't notice it. But how would you prove who's at fault ?. Most dirt bikes are sold with no warranty. If it was loose from the factory for example, you'd be S.O.L. Having said that as a mechanic, I always go good on things like that within a certain time period of the repair. Go talk to them, but don't fly off the deep end about it. Maybe they will do a "good will" repair for you.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I have trouble trusting others to work on my stuff. I would've checked it over for sure but that doesn't mean he shouldn't hold some responsibility. Have you called and made him aware of the situation? He might be more than willing to make it right so you come back. If I make a mistake like that I go out of my way to try to make it up to the customer.

vampirsoul87

Dec 9, 2009
yea i called him.. and hes only told me what to do....

and that entailes spending 50 dollars total cause of his inability to tighten it

5 new quarts of oil and a oil filter = 30 dollars

1 new plug and o ring 20 dollars

he wants me to drain it and add new oil. run the bike 5 mins then drain it again and add new oil.. repeat 3 times..

its bs cause he should come do it.. if i was a mechanic and i screwed up on not tighting a timing plug.. i would offer to come make it right

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
see if you can use cheap fluids for the flushing then put good stuff in for usage, and see if you can get some store credit from the guy or at least a discount

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
vampirsoul87 said:
its bs cause he should come do it.. if i was a mechanic and i screwed up on not tighting a timing plug.. i would offer to come make it right

You're a rider who screwed up by not checking the plugs which should be done prior to EVERY ride. They loosen up all the time from the normal engine vibration, so you better get in the habit of checking them along with all the other things that loosen up.

Chalk it up to a lesson learned and quit whining about it.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Rich Rohrich said:
You're a rider who screwed up by not checking the plugs which should be done prior to EVERY ride. They loosen up all the time from the normal engine vibration, so you better get in the habit of checking them along with all the other things that loosen up.

Chalk it up to a lesson learned and quit whining about it.
Yep Rich hit it right on. I have had a timing plug vibrate off on a brand new bike- after that we always carried an extra in the bolt box. This weekend Rich got a desperation call from me about a different bolt that vibrated out. I could have blamed the Mechanic (my son) for it but I took responsibility as well because I distracted him while he was working on it and I did not double check it myself.
Thank fully Rich countered my fears explained how to check if it was safe to run and the day went on

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
Rich Rohrich said:
You're a rider who screwed up by not checking the plugs which should be done prior to EVERY ride.
That sums it up right there. :nod:

sx2504life

Sep 30, 2009
I reckon rich was bang on with your the one who stuffed up. As someone said earlier new bikes are sold with no warrenty and ive had a bad run with that end of it had a rear sproket tear off the hub and cause 3 grand of damage but anywho you ride it and you own it so you check it b4 you ride it just incase every1 should check every nut and bolt you possiable can b4 you go out

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Boo hoo it's always somebody elses fault! Sign of the times I guess when everyone gets a trophy and there are no winners but lots of whiners. If you ran out of gas who would be at fault? If you got a flat?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
well, this maybe a potential good thread to move to the flame board? so we could flame the mechanic? ;)

sx2504life

Sep 30, 2009
its not all the machanics fault he probably should have checked the bolts and that but nor did the owner ridding it so its a cheap lesson learned

Top Bottom