show me some pics of home made aluminum bike stands.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
the wood one i just made is crap, its uneven, its too skinny, and its heavy. im just wondering if anyone has made a steel or aluminum stand and if they have pics.

thanks!

Mar 16, 2007
I use a bucket for my 125. and it works fine. if its not tall enough you can just put another bucket inside and stackem like that till its high enough.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Here is Rubbermaid step stool that works great as a bike stand. And you can use it as a step when loading your bike.

Might not look as cool as a custom aluminum stand, but it will only cost you about $15 and you don't have to fabricate a thing.

Attachments

• Step Stool.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 297

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
I'll take a picture of my steel lift stand tomorrow. It's alittle heavier than aluminum stands but works just as good if not better.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
how tall are the ones you guys are using? my wood one is almost 19 inches high.

thanks for the pics.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
dirt bike dave said:
Here is Rubbermaid step stool that works great as a bike stand. And you can use it as a step when loading your bike.

Might not look as cool as a custom aluminum stand, but it will only cost you about $15 and you don't have to fabricate a thing.

That's hilarious. I use one of those, I believe it was around $7. My father just came down from Michigan and I was showing him the new bike, and had it sitting on that stand. He started laughing as soon as he saw it, since he got it for me a LONG time ago. We figured out it has been in faithful service since either 96 or 97. Best stand ever!

JohnRaven.exe

Jun 5, 2006
I built one out of angle iron :) Its VERY strong... My bike weighs less then 300lbs. and I bet my stand could hold 500lbs EASY...

It took me a full day to build, but totally worth it!

Angle iron, nuts & bolts = $25 roughly

The specs on mine are 14'' square and 15'' high. I wish I would have had enough angle iron to make it a little higher. Oh well, I can always just weld some feet on it to make it a little taller, if need be :)

Clicky teh link

http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bikepics007en5.jpg

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
i might be able to get an aluminum one for free if the bike i buy has one and the guy has no use for it... other than that, i think im just gonna stick with my wood one, i added reinforcments to it today and its way more stable.

if i can round up the steel ill build an aluminum one as well.

thanks for the pics!

JohnRaven.exe

Jun 5, 2006
Okiewan said:
Humm... a full day, even at 5.00 per hour is $40, + the $25. = $65. You can buy an al. one for that and doesn't weigh 500lbs :). Then again, you don't get the pleasure of making it yourself.

I forgot to mention the $30 I made watching my dads shop most of the day :nener:

Yeah, and I do like building stuff myself.... And with something like this, I KNOW it done right and will hold anything and last forever :)

Oh ya, and one more thing!!! It doesn't weigh 500lbs!!!...maybe like 13lbs ;)

schanxj

Apr 1, 2007
I'm sorry but that isn't angle iron...it is called Uni-Stut and is primarily used for mounting electrical control boxes.

JohnRaven.exe

Jun 5, 2006
IndyYZ85 said:
How are you going to make an aluminum stand out of steel?

Lmao....

And schanxj, your right.....its not angle iron, but thats what I was planning on using Lol! I was told it was called slotted something.... I forget, oh well.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
What? A milk crate & a couple of 2x4's are not good enough for you all? :yeehaw: :nener:

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
I use one of those plastic crates used for 5 gallon water bottles.I got one for $5.00 from my local delivery guy.Just put some plywood on top with a rubber pad on top of that and you are all set.You can put stuff in it too when you travel.

Mar 16, 2007
my local shop sells a stand for about 30 bucks, and it has a little lever to raise and lower the bike with your foot. the bucket works fine for me.

pradami

Sep 1, 2006
I made mine in Machine shop at school. it works really well, i got the dimensions off of a sight that sells aluminum stands and i just used one inch steel tubing and made a steel top. I reinforced the legs and it works great i think its about 13 or 14 inches off the ground i forgot, but it was pretty easy to make. The only problem someone at home would have i guess is the pipe bender. but you don't really need bent pipes really, just cut them at the right angle and ur all good right? ill get a pic of it up soon

bro

Mar 21, 2002
Stands? We don't need no stinkin stands.

I just lay my bike on it's side, that is the position it seems to be most comfortable in. :rotfl:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
It's not Uni-stut but Unistrut, come on everyone knows that ;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…