siezed motor, repair help needed

norcalsean

Oct 31, 2004
My 220 siezed while ripping up a fire road. It appears to have over heated and then siezed after I stopped to figure out what was going on. The radiator was topped off when we headed out, but once the motor cooled down after it siezed I found that half of the water had disappeared. Looks like the cylinder got so hot that the plastic on the clutch cable started to melt to the cylinder where they touch. I have searched for links to help me with dismantling and trouble shooting but have had no success. Does any one out there have any suggestions on where to start? Thanks

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
get a factory service manual, I'd pull the jug off and take a look. A lot of guys warn that the stock 220 piston breaks and suggest it be replaced asap. It sounds like it may be to late for you.If it was a piston break for you ,you may be able to get away with just having the ciylander replated / with new piston, Wish you luck.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
I have heard several stories about the stock 220 piston grenading, especially if there are any mods done. That (along with some fork springs) is next on the agenda.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
norcalsean check out he JustKDX web site there its lots of info there that will help you out. Be sure to pay special attention to the kips shaft article to ensure you don't damage the shaft when removing the actuator bolt.

When I hear overheated the first thing that jumps to mind is that the engine was running lean. Be sure you just don't replace the top end without inspecting the condition of the crank, crank seals etc to see if you can determine the cause of the problem. Of course if you pull the top end you will want to replace the piston with a Wiseco piston rather than a stock unit as they are prone to cracking over time.

If you find that the cylinder has been damaged Eric Gorr offers a 225cc over bore, porting and head mods that works very well and is cheaper than going with factory replacement parts.

Hope that helps. If you need more help once you get the top end apart get back to us and I'm sure you'll get the guidance you need.

David

norcalsean

Oct 31, 2004
Thanks for all the help I took my kdx all apart and the parts are on the way.

Thanks Again Norcalsean

norcalsean

Oct 31, 2004
Before I put every thing back together I want to know how much play can the crankshaft have up and
down,side to side?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…