Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
Im trying to repack the silencer on my 97 yz125 but the bolts(allen key) are stuck. I assume they used some type of loctite to keep them in. Has anyone here ever used heat to remove these? I know its dangerous bec there is probly gas in the silencer but it wont be on there too long. Ive also tried to grip them w/ visegrips but that hasnt worked.

cr2504life

May 17, 2004
I don't think that heating the silencer would be a problem. Just be careful, The oil on the packing will probable smoke alot but it should catch on fire. This is just my opinion and I dont' know for sure. Good Luck!

Joe_148

Mar 13, 2004
the carbon most likely WILL catch fire, and it will smell to high heaven..but if you do it outside and are careful it should be ok.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Use a very small tip and a neutral flame and heat just the bolt heads. Use a spray bottle with water or a throttled down hose to cool the bolts after they are nice and hot.

They will turn right out after this.

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
Just heat the bolt till its hot then just cool it off w/ water? Will this heating/cooling break it free?

Newboy#1

Jul 15, 2004
Heres a neat little trick i learned from one of the great guys at dirtbike com........Clamp your silencer down to a work bench and put a breaker bar (a peice of copper pipe) onto the allan wrench and it should break loose nicely

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Bodge said:
Just heat the bolt till its hot then just cool it off w/ water? Will this heating/cooling break it free?

Yep.

It's rusty up here. All the car mechanics I know use this trick to free up bleeder bolts on calipers/wheel cylinders. I use it for any various job. Just yesterday I used it to get a bearing race off an axle pinion.

Top Bottom