craig

Jan 7, 2002
Hi all,

I need to purchase a spark arrestor for my '97 220. From reading through the info at http://justkdx.dirtrider.net, I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do, but I have a couple of little questions.

The bike has a bored carb, port work (appears to be mostly intake), delta v-force reeds (the old ones) and a dynoport pipe & silencer.

The issue is that the budget is tight, and the dynoport silencer is one of the more expensive choices at $169.95. The FMF and Pro Circuit are both a bit cheaper, and should work fine, correct?

Reading that the stock silencer works well, I'm tempted to look for a used stocker, but I'm not sure that I want to pay the weight penalty. The flip side of that is that the stocker is supposedly super quiet, and I would very much like that.

I guess my big question is, just how well does the stock silencer work, and am I likely to be disappointed in the power loss by switching to a stocker? Also, how much does it weigh?

Anyone have a stocker laying around that they'd like to donate or sell cheap for me to test?

thanks!
Craig

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
There's a stock spark arrestor listed on eBay right now. I imagine you can pick it up for a reasonable price. Just do a search for "KDX" and you'll see it.

Later this spring I'll be swapping my stocker for an FMF Turbine Core II. The way I understnd it, power gains will be minimal, weight savings is more substantial. Personally, I hate the way the stocker looks. I'll be switching for soley for the "trick" look.

Good Luck,
Chuck

craig

Jan 7, 2002
Thanks, I had seen that one.

There's nothing wrong with 'looks' as a reason to make a change. Personally, I'm a function over form guy, but even so, I couldn't live with the purple tank on my '97 and bought a green one. It's your bike, it should make you happy.

Craig

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
I know what you mean about the purple. I could not stand it. The green and purple combination was so 1980's-ish If my bike was a 1988 model I would understand, but a 1998,...come on!

My 98 has a green tank(thank goodness) but came with purple fork boots, tool bag, and seat. I've swapped the purple tool bag for a black Samsonite camera bag from Wal-Mart. Works great and only cost 7.47. Last weekend I accidentally impaled the scooter on a fallen tree which was pointing up from the ground at an angle. I'm glad that I had radiator guards! Anyway, the tree got the best of the purple fork boots so I've got some black ones ordered. I can't wait till they arrive so I can install them and get rid of the purple ones.

After that, the only purple thing left on my bike will be the seat cover. I've got a Factory FX graphics/seatcover combo that will fix that right up!

Back on topic - with a different silencer/SA, will one need to re-jet?

Later,
Chuck

David M

Nov 28, 2002
My girlfriend has a 220 with a FMF Turbine core and when her bike is running and I start mine up (a Honda XR650R with stock exhaust with Honda tip) you can barely hear the KDX. -david

James51381

Mar 17, 2002
i put on the Turbine Core II and a PC pipe, and it isnt too loud, but i have received quite a few compliments on how it sounds. as for performance, i couldnt tell you i put on everything at the same time. not to step on toes, but i have a stock silencer, if you want it, just pay for shipping. the silencer does have some riding time, but just undo the screw at the botom and bang the crap out of it while you rev it and it should clean it out. or so the manual says.

james

craig

Jan 7, 2002
Thanks for the replies. I'm really leaning towards the stock silencer as IMHO, quiet is good, so I think I'll try that.

thanks again,
Craig

craig

Jan 7, 2002
James,

I'd like to take you up on the 'just pay shipping' offer, but I'm unable to PM you. Please shoot me an email at forcedtojoin@yahoo.com.

thanks!
Craig

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Speaking of not being able to send PMs....what does one have to do to get priviledges?
At one time I could but now I can not.
Joe
I bit off toic yes>>

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom