Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Looking for some advice, I was out riding with my son today and since my new pipe for my RM hasn't arrived yet I decided to take my 82 XT 200 out for the ride. Not sure if this is the reason it happened but I was pushing the bike pretty hard at the time when I started to lose power. Got off the bike started to check it over when I noticed my packing for the silencer was coming out the end of the pipe and had blocked the pipe. Rooted around with it for a bit and could feel that everything had basically self destructed inside the silencer it seems. Being somewhat new to trying to maintain my own bikes my question is what comes next to fix this baby? I've seen threads about repacking silencers but the silencer on this bike seems to be a sealed unit there are no screws of any type to remove the end of the pipe other than at the coupling from the first part of the pipe. Not sure if this silencer was always this way as there is a weld on the pipe approx. 3-4 inches from the end of the silencer so not sure if the previous owner modified the pipe in some way or this was the way the pipe came stock. Anyone have any ideas? and did this silencer come sealed like that stock?

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Hmm, usually std mufflers on small old 4 strokes are non-repackable & don’t have fibreglass matt in them.

Either way on such an old bike chances are the original is long gone. I suspect a cheapy muffler in it's place.

Suggestion 1
buy a universal muffler that can be modified to fit.

Suggestion 2
Cut it off about 1cm from the back & gut the tube.
Buy some perforated core from a muffler manufacturer about the same size as what is collapsing in there. Repack with muffler packing & reweld.

I would suggest making a repackable solution on a 2 stroke but I doubt it will ever need the service again.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
David, thx for the reply. I wonder if the weld this pipe has near the back of the silencer is from a fix like you suggested in sugggestion #2. I am going to check with the dealer today for universal pipe solutions.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Just got back from the bike shop after they told me we could get a cheap universal pipe from Supertrapp for it and found out that since this pipe has such a bizarre pipe configuration that the universal will be a no go :( . Only options left are a Factory replacement that they think is still available or I fnd someone to hack apart the pipe and try to rebuild it. The Factory pipe is $175. Time to upgrade the scoots for the wife and I as I hate making $200 and up repairs on a bike worth $800 at best.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Maybe try finding a old silencer somebody wants to get rid of and hack-n-dab till you get something that will work. Many good rides left on the old beast if that was all that kept it from runnin hard. Got a pal with a brazin tourch? We all have faith in ya, chili. Good luck.

Top Bottom