Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
When it come times to repack the silencer, should the glass be loosely rolled or tightly packed? I would think that tightly packed would be less restrictive to exhaust flow which should result in better performance.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
The reason why I try to pack the glasswool tight is because it lasts longer; which means about five big rides. If it is not tight enough it will be useless in one ride. That's MO.
Originally posted by EricGorr
...I suggest you buy...some spare packing kits. Repacking a silencer often (every 5 races and practises) will make your bike less finicky on jetting.
Taken from (click here)

Last edited:

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
Take a closer look at your silencer design and you will agree that the packing can't restrict the exhaust. The holes only allow sound to go thru them. I wrap my packing material tight but not hand cramping tight. Make sure that the packing material goes to the ends after the core is installed. Estimate the amount of extra needed to hang off the end of the core so it will compress the appropriate amount after installation. I have found this small detail to be overlooked very often.

Kurt

LB400

Apr 9, 2001
I'm not so sure that packing it tight is a good idea.

On our 50cc mini race bike (KTM LC), I tried packing the silencer REALLY tight, and it was not only louder, but noticeably slower as well. I re-packed it much looser, and the power came back and it was nice and quiet too!

Top Bottom