Single filiment bulbs

r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
Guys,

Are you running a double or single filiment bulb in the rear light?

I am STILL having problems and my local dealer has told me to run a single filiment bulb in the rear light as there is some resistor under the seat that allows 6 vols through with the lights on and when you hit the brake pedal it allows 12 volts throu

Any ideas

KDXMan1

Aug 3, 2004
I have a 79 KDX, so I'm no help..the tail light is missing. I would go with what your dealer said

r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
I am at the point where every one is giving me differant advice, one says you need a stator another says LED and then I have to get a single filiment!!

Does anyone know what the black thing mounted under the seat does ? It has cooling fins and is about 2 inch wide by 4 inch long!

r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
Thanks Rethnal, I have a manual but it is at home, I am currently at work trying to work this problem out.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
What is it that is trying to get done?

You may need a double filament in your rear light if the brake is wired to a separate filament. You may not need a double filament if there is a resistor wired to ground for the taillight and that resistor is bypassed for the brake light (making the single filament brighter at that time).

That is the situation the dealer has said exists.

Look at the socket. Two connections at the base of the bulb? Then it takes a double filament bulb. Whether you USE it or not is something else.

Make the bulb fit the socket.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
It seems the single filament bulb is a lot tougher than duallys. I have tried both configurations and have settled with the stock single config because I was tired of replacing bulbs because of one filament blowing. I just use the hydro switch to complete the circuit. So, mine is normally off until I hit the rear brake. I don't ride the roads anyway so this works for me. There are so many different ways you can configure the brake light that a book could be written on the subject. I'm sure yours probably isn't like the USA configuration and we would have a hard time helping you with yours. But, If you have a diagram of the resistor circuit that your dealer is talking about... I would like to see it.

Last edited:

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Well... the diagram is in my head (not really a good place for it) but it is quite simple. The hydro switch goes in place of you banjo bolt on the rear brake cylinder and has two wire coming out of it. Cut your brakes hot wire under the seat as close to the bango bolt as possible. (You may have to add a little wire but that's OK) And then simply connect one wire to one lead on the switch and then the other. That's all there is to it. One functional brake light.... keeps you from getting rammed when riding with friends! :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…