How to make the kdx street legal?????

MARC

May 8, 2002
o.k. more questions for you all. Want to make my kdx street legal. Have looked at the kits available but it appears to me after some research and a lot of questions that the knowledgeable do it yourselfer can get the job done without having to buy the $400+ kit. Was told by one of the kit folks that even if you buy from them and have the stator rewound and replace the stock headlight with theirs its still not really any better than what it came with, and if you run the lights all the time the battery wil go dead, so why waste the money is my question? From what I see, for the electrical part of the conversion you need a hi-lo bulb for the headlight, a light to indicate highbeam, a taillight with brake light, a switch for the tailight, a horn, and a 12 volt nicad battery, all which hopefully won't tax the stock system too much. My question is: has anyone done it on their own and did it work? What bulbs, brakeswitch, and battery did you use? Not looking to run the thing on the interstate, or at night much, just want to get it passed and be able to run on local streets and roads if I need to. Am I barking up the wrong tree or should I spend the dough? Show me the light!

jc

Sep 22, 2001
I have made mine "minimal" legal here in Mich. All I used was and slick brake light switch from FRP and a mirror. I did not change anything from stock. The brake switch works with stock tail light. I did not use a battery. I know I did not have everything I need to make it totally legal but it gets by. I have done this twice now. The first time I used a tail/brake socket for a GM auto with a used brake switch from the junk yard and a second bulb tucked in the stock tail light lens. It wouldn't work the same on the second bike because the ele. power was not as strong. I have been told the ele. output can vary quite a bit from bike to bike. I guess what I am saying it is poss. to make your own rd.legal kit for much less than the full kit. I would check w/ local pd. to see what they would really be strict on. Helps if you know the P.O. that does the inspection too!!!

MARC

May 8, 2002
o.k we're going in the right direction, what is a "FRP" brake switch, where do I find one, and where on the bike does it fit? As I figured, if you know the right people doing the inspection there can't be a whole lot to do other than putting a brake switch on the bike to get it by the gov., the rest I should be able to figure out on my own.... Thanks

MARC

May 8, 2002
o.k., duh. it took me a few seconds but just figued it out on my own, I'm a newbie here and don't know all the lingo to this site yet. I found the brake switch at frp in the site thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!!

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
before you spend a bunch of money on it, make sure they will sell you a tag before you buy all that,, the may not issue a tag to a two stroker..but be ready to hear "huh?" when you tell them what you did.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Street Legal KDX

Marc, You should mention what state you're in. There are 50 of them and each has different requirements & hoops to jump through. Here in Colorado you simply fill out a form stating that you have made [whether you've really done it or not] 5 modifications to the bike [& brake light is one of them]. I submitted this form, a VIN verification form, a check for $180 and had my tags immediately.

MARC

May 8, 2002
Checked into it with the inspections div. here in Minnesota. According to the very helpful folks it does not matter if it's a two or four stroke, their reasoning was if they pass mopeds why not dirtbikes as long as they have the proper items. Hey, sounds good to me!! They told me here in MN, once the needed items have been done, it can be inspected by any law enforcement official, an affidavit is signed or letter from the person doing the inspection is provided, take it and the origional MSO down to the DMV and viola!!!

rxraptor02

Aug 7, 2004
jc said:
I have made mine "minimal" legal here in Mich. All I used was and slick brake light switch from FRP and a mirror. I did not change anything from stock. The brake switch works with stock tail light. I did not use a battery. I know I did not have everything I need to make it totally legal but it gets by. I have done this twice now. The first time I used a tail/brake socket for a GM auto with a used brake switch from the junk yard and a second bulb tucked in the stock tail light lens. It wouldn't work the same on the second bike because the ele. power was not as strong. I have been told the ele. output can vary quite a bit from bike to bike. I guess what I am saying it is poss. to make your own rd.legal kit for much less than the full kit. I would check w/ local pd. to see what they would really be strict on. Helps if you know the P.O. that does the inspection too!!!

JC,

I couldn't get a message to you other than this thread. I hope your still on the forum.

I also live in Michigan and would like to see/know how you make a KDX street legal.

thanks
-Jim
rxraptor2002@yahoo

Top Bottom