Skid Plate / Pipe Guard

nbro1218

Mar 12, 2004
My '03 KDX 220 has the WC Skid Plate on it now, but I'm worried about the sides (water pump, etc). Is it worth it to get a plate that has the wrap-arounds? If so, does anyone have a suggestion on what kind to get? Also, is the E-Line pipe cover worth the price? I have an FMF Gnarly Rev.

As a side note, I put the Boyesen Power Reeds in my bike last night and rejetted my carb and the difference was amazing. Thanks for all the good advice on this forum.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Just checked and Works Connection does not list their heavy duty offroad skid plate for the KDX any more. I like mine and would recommend it. I like the extra security of those ears around the water pump and the ignition cover. You could always give WC a call and see if there are any still laying around.

As for the E-line cover, I haven't tried a "real" crash test but looking at the scratches on mine, those scratches would've ended up on my Gnarly Rev. There will be a little wear on the nickeling from the hose clamps that secure the guard but then I wipe the pipe down with a light coat of WD40 after washing so it hasn't rusted yet.

I like the E-line guard for its light weight and large coverage area.

Yep, it's incredible how much difference different reeds can make. I had the same reaction when I did mine.

Best,
Greg

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I have the Utah Sport Cyles skid plate. SUPER igh quality and fit/finish price is excellent too. They sell on their web and are rider/testers themselves.

kdxluver

Feb 22, 2004

I put a E-Line pipe guard on my Gnarly Desert pipe and rode it up at Miami Trails by Yosemite. I crashed twice trying to make this hill. :flame: I crashed in the same spot both times, with the bike falling over on the same rock and without the guard it would have wasted the pipe. They look trick and preform excellent. Highly recommended.

nbro1218

Mar 12, 2004
moridin said:
I have the Utah Sport Cyles skid plate. SUPER igh quality and fit/finish price is excellent too. They sell on their web and are rider/testers themselves.

I called Utah Sport Cycle and they said their KDX skid plates do not have the ears on them to protect the side covers because of the "loops" welded onto the KDX frame. I've also seen a couple of threads that say the plate doesn't have the ears like the picture suggests. Does anyone have one that protects their side plates?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…