sleeve for a KDX-220

Curt Doelman

Dec 22, 1999
The cylinder on my 1997 KDX-220 is worn out beyond service limit
replating seems to be the only option for the 220.
Apparently the only sleeves offered are for the 200 eventhough Wiseco is offering 2 oversize pistons for the 220 (69.5 & 70)
Could someone explain why sleeving only is available for the 200?

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
Curt,

There is a sleeve available for your 1997 KDX 220 from LA Sleeve.

Part # KA-5319

Curt Doelman

Dec 22, 1999
Hi there,
thank you for your reply, it has been a while that I checked the LA Sleeve website the new site is quite an improvement and one can even buy on-line.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Time for big bore kit by "Eric Gorr"? Give Jeff Fredette a call 708-946-0999 and buy one of his ported cylinders, nobody can match the performance! Also some where in dirt rider zine I seen replacement jugs for around $300 or so. I had a cylinder sleeve on my son's kx80 once out the door it cost me over $650 for the rebuild. Unless you have a really great machinist. My dealer ship missed on the sleeve instalation and set it too deep. Had to send it off to Eric Gorr just to fix it

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Eric Gorr will very likely be able to either replate your cylinder or bore it to a 225 and replate it. The big bore kit includes everything you need, piston, rings, gaskets, porting and head work for one low price. Give him a call and he'll be able to fill you in. For some feed back on 225cc kits just search the KDX form for 225 and you should come up with lots of info including why people like the big bore so much.

You're much better off replating than installing a sleeve.

David

Curt Doelman

Dec 22, 1999
thank you all for your response,
I know that replating is the way to go and I still have it in consideration.
The thing is I am outside the U.S and shipping my cylinder to FRP (I am a regular customer) is quite expensive so that is the main reason I was looking for an LA Sleeve.
By the way check out Dirt Rider June issue a report on the Dominican Republic

kdxfreeeek

Sep 18, 2003
i have a 96 kdx 200 and i just had to put a new top end in it i wen twitha la sleeve stainless steel was in it when it blew up they bored the la sleeve 60 over works great

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I still say spend the extra for the plating.

If you sleeve it , you will HAVE to end up boring the bike. The sleeves wear. With the replating, you may never have to touch the bore again. The repated stuff is much higher quality than oem.

The 70mm piston would be a fun one to install with re-plating.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…