zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Man, what a confusing weekend. I don't know whether to be encouraged or bummed. I didn't finish a single lap, but before a rediculous bottleneck on a hill - call it Hamburger Hill - I was doing awesome. I don't toot my own horn often, but man, I really think I could have done well.

The day before, it was sunny & warm. But by the start of the A/B race Sunday morning, it was raining. It got progressively worse, until it was absolutely dumping buckets by my racetime. A delay in the race (they had to cut out several sections for us C riders) allowed Mother Nature to keep brewing the mud, but thankfully the rain stopped in time for our start (which was delayed nearly 2 hours).

I was lined up on the second row (it went 0-200, 201-250, then 4-strk, Vet, Sr, and so on), and luckily the row in front of me was sparse because the mud was at least a foot deep & if there was a rider starting in front of you you were guaranteed a thick coating of mud before you even started your engine.

When our shotgun went off, I missed the first kick & got off on the second. I have no clue how many guys were ahead of me, but I gunned it instead of my usual "casual launch". I had spectators (namely my uncle who's never seen me ride), and I had to look good at least on the start. By the time I reached that first turn, though, I was getting pelted with mud. I could barely see, and just tried to make it through the first lap of the motocross track without falling. Actually, riding in that thick mud was easier than it looked. It was so thick, it sort of kept your tires stuck in. As long as I kept my momentum up, I could hold a line pretty well. All I needed were a few milliseconds between wicked roostings to peek up & aim, and I was doing good. I didn't know it, but I was actually passing quite a few riders.

By the time I made it off the track & into the real course, I was totally blind. I reached for my first tearoff, & ended up taking all 10 off at once. :eek: Luckily, the mud wasn't as thick & I could take time to dodge roost & managed to keep my goggles clear for quite a ways. Taping an extra lense to my visor was a lifesaver.

I had decided early on to pace myself & try not to use up too much energy on the first lap. As I got farther into the course, I started realizing that I wasn't nervous, that I wasn't tired yet, and that I was doing well. Then I started to get confident & decided that I wasn't going to let the Kawasaki that just passed me get away. As I gassed it, I paid close attention to his lines and realized that he wasn't any better than me. So I waited for him to fall and he politely did so within a few turns. Then I caught up to two more riders and did exactly the same thing- hung out a safe distance behind them, watched their lines, and waited for them to fall. The guy in front did, but the dude on the Yamaha behind him didn't, so I waited for him to slow around a turn- he slowly took the inside line on this uphill left-hander and I went around him on the gas!!!!!!!! :yeehaw: That was only like my third time ever passing someone for real in a race.

I was thinking to myself "This rocks! I'm gonna do well!" Then it happened. I came around a corner & could see the signs of a bottleneck- riders slowing to a stop side by side. There was Hamburger Hill, and riders strewn all over it. It was ugly. There was no where to go. Every conceivable line had at least one rider burried up to his axle. Momentum was the key, and the rest of the racers coming up behind me were slowly packing themselves up into the chaos. I didn't want to follow, I wanted to wait for a clear line so I could get a good start & maybe make it up. But guys were coming up beside me & going 10 feet until they stalled behind the goon in the middle of their line. It was rediculous. But I figured I may as well get in line. So I gunned it until I hit a burried root & stalled. Guys were cussing right & left. Possible clean lines were suckering guys everywhere. The layer of grass off in the trees was only hiding more deep muck. The best way up the hill was to hop off the bike & rev to the moon while you pushed alongside it. Getting stuck behind another guy meant a humorously long shower of mud. Honestly- one guy three feet in front of me on a CRF gave me at least 45 seconds of roost. No worries, because I paid him back generously once I got some momentum & passed him.

After 10-15 minutes, I was (again) burried & stalled only 8 feet from the top. I was drained. I managed to kick it over, pin it, dump the clutch & launch it the rest of the way. Thankfully, by the time I climbed up it was still running on it's side. I picked it up & motored off. But alas, the triumph was short-lived. My already questionable clutch was gone. I limped to the first check (only a mile from the start/finish) and waited for a lift back.

I checked the results on the D36 website today, and I know I passed a few of the top 15 guys in my class at least once before the hill. Oh well. I guess that's racing, huh! :thumb:

Last edited:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Here's a pic of angryjim (#93) passing an A rider on his first lap. This is the start, which wasn't too bad yet.

Attachments

• jim passing copy.jpg
    jim passing copy.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 218

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
zio,

I feel your pain.  My race was a slop fest this weekend too.  I also thought that I was doing pretty well, but racing in a 12" deep slot for mile after mile is pretty energy sapping.  My goal was to just finish the race.  Unfortunately, I only completed 35 of the 85 miles for the race.

On the positive side.  I've experienced these really poor rides before in the past.  What I've found is that a bad race/ride is usually followed by a phenomimal ride.  So look on the bright side, you just paid your dues with this race.  You next few rides/races should be stellar.  Now go out and enjoy them.

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Zio
You looked good on the track after that horrible start. You're riding fine, you just had some bad luck. The workouts are starting to pay off.

Congrats to Kelly for winning the open B class :thumb: ! The e-start 520 was perfect for the conditions.

My brother got 6th in SR class riding with a front flat tire almost the entire race. He'll win the next one.

Those darn A riders are always holdin me up ;) . One A rider parked me in a ravine when I tried to get around him. I spent several quality minutes there rethinking my move. Fun anyway.

426 Pilot

Apr 27, 2000
Angry Jim, Are you sure they are giving Kelly the win in the open B class? The results have been taken down from the d36 website for some adjustments. I think it was a Kelly(don't remember the last name) that they had posted on the 3rd run of the results and He popped into first place which bumped me out of trophy position in the B open. The first results they posted showed me in 3rd and then I was bumped. There is no way the winner of the B open ran 4 laps in 1:45..... Wouldn't he have made the 5th lap?(If he did he should be moved to the front line of the A class asap) I feel like a little kid crying about not getting my trophy....

Anyways, fun race looking back on it, although the thoughts going through my mind during the race was that I can't wait until the cc season is over so I can hang out at the mx track and ride some clean, easy motocross practice sessions and pull off for a rest whenever I feel like it. I felt like I went through a 2hour and 31 minute wrestling match... I'm still figuring out my new KTM 300mxc but so far it is not as good as my yz250.

Jon

HARDKOREKELLY

Nov 12, 2001
Hey guys, they finally fixed the timing problem. And it put me where I really belonged, 3rd place. I knew it was wrong because I battled with my buddy Kane several times and apperently he got out of the pits much faster than I did (I need a better pit crew!) I knew he finished a couple of minutes ahead of me so he would have finished close to my time. Anyway it was brutal but a lot of fun! Cant wait till Moonrocks!

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Pilot
You probably need a fork revalve. Faultline did my forks and they're night and day better. Ask Brian Sperle, who also has his suspension done there.

Kelly, sorry to hear about the change.

426 Pilot

Apr 27, 2000
Kelly, You took my 3rd place position they had originally posted me as at the race... Oh well. My last lap was a disaster and I am now finding out that the bush that I spent 5 minutes getting out of after I cross rutted and got shot off the trail was in fact poison oak... it even seemed to find it's way into areas I don't like to talk about. Anyway, good race.

Angry Jim, I've been working with JN on my suspension. I had him revalve it, but we were still waiting on stiffer springs to carry my 205lb's . The springs came in this week and he also changed the valving a litle for me based on the feedback that I have given him so far. The springs should make a huge difference as the forks were diving so bad that any time I hit the brakes, it felt like I was going over the bars... especially on the rutted downhill single track. I live pretty close to JN's shop and actually ride with him occasionally so he has a good idea of my ability and how I like it set up. This weekends ride will be the true test..... I heard the faultline stuff is real good.

Sounds like you guys are heading to the moon rocks. My buddies are talking me into skipping it and hitting Stonyford or Foresthill to take advantage of the end of the wet season...

See ya at Cow Mtn.

Jon

Top Bottom