smoking crf

muttdog

Jan 17, 2003
My crf seems to smoke quite heavily when cold. Honda says it is normal but I have only seen a handful do it. It consumes the normal amount of oil for a crf and it rips otherwise. It did it the first time I started it from new and has not changed any throughout the 20 or so hours on it. Sure hate to tear down an engine that runs so well, any ideas?

spktm2

Jul 23, 2002
my 02 smoked fo about 10-15 hrs of use then it just stopped smoking and i have never done anything differant.

go figure

spktm
cr450
no valve trouble,no slider trouble,no air leak trouble,and no smokin

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Mine does that as well when cold, don't worry about it. I think since the whole valve and oil consumption thing everyone is scared to death that their CRF is a ticking time bomb. Feel good, I'm sure its fine. I got the 02 model and have had no trouble w/it. I've had no valve problems(although I do service them when required), it uses a small amount of oil(its a small capacity unit, its just more noticable than other bikes), and (properly jetted) I've never had a problem w/frying the motor. Don't sit around the garage and worry.............Go Ride The Thing!!!!;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…