smoking!!

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I've just gotten to where I can ride my bike again after nearly 4 months off (broken tibia), and now my bike is smoking! It was always a little rich, I just moved to a hotter, more humid area (same altitude) so I figure I can expect a little more richness. After riding the other day and seeing how rich it was, I dropped the slow jet two sizes (to a 48 from 52), dropped the needle one position (top), and the main one size (a 160 to a 150). I've got the crispness back, but the smoke is now more white/light blue color.

Will blowing a head gasket make the smoke this color? The coolant level hasn't changed and there aren't any particles floating around it. Besides, my bike has one of those aluminum gaskets. But, the gas is the stuff I mixed the day I broke my leg (four months ago). I don't plan on using this gas, but could it be the reason I smoking this way? It's a lot of smoke!

Any ideas?

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
If you let gas sit in your carb for 4 months, you may need to clean it. Throw that gas out, clean the carb jets, and then jet the bike.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Not only that but in his mixing jug too!

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Personally,
If you left the settings alone, you will have the same. You just left the fuel too long.
Phillip

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I suppose it was the gas. I changed it out today, put the fresh stuff in and it's fine now. The jetting though--the airscrew is at 2 1/2 turns out now. That's where I get the max RPM's from. Is my pilot still too small? I can't believe the jetting was that far off and I've not been fouling plugs---just a little spooge on my swingarm. The screw won't turn any further than 3 turns out. I'm gonna be riding in sand a lot, so I want the bike a little rich. I think this setting is fine. Thanks for everyone's help!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…