Smooshed 2-stroke pipe, bad for engine?

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Okay so here is the problem. I got hit from behind off the line at a race and some how it managed to tweak my exhaust making nothing line up anymore. I have to put on my old FMF SST pipe that WAS brand new and I layed the bike down in a corner and it wrapped the header section into and around the frame. This area used to be a round fat tube and now it's smaller in diameter and smooshed, not pinched closed but it's narrower. Now there is only a good few weeks of riding here in Canada left, will it harm the motor to run the bike with the pipe like this? I would think no, because it's just a new bend, like anyother pipe. It makes me mad because the pipe looks BRAND NEW, except for that the header section smashed itself around the frame.

I can get pics if you need to see what im talking about, but im just wondering if it's bad for the bike. All I need to do is blow a motor at the end of the season while im trying to sell my bike :(

thanks guys

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
A dent in the header section will affect the power the most. One of those pipe dent removal places can probably fix it.

As far as hurting your motor by using it, it depends on how bad it is. Since the back pressure has been changed, the exhaust gasses won't vent as efficiently and could cause overheating.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Well it's not really dented, and I don't have time to send it to pipe repair since it's my last pipe or I gladly would :(

I waited to long on this one. I want to find a stock pipe for resale, but I don't want to harm my motor in the process.

I think ill need pics to show you better, but just picture on the left of your bike where the pipe curls around that section to and bottom is smashed into the frame and when it hit the frame it took the roundness out of the pipe and made it look for like a pinched tube. Like I said not pinched close just not round anymore :(

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
If the pipe is that bad, you have nothing to lose, other than your eye, to try and fix it per the other thread on a dented pipe. Throw about 10lbs of air in it, heat it and stand back! If it's trashed, you might be able to get most of the bend out. Good luck

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
It's hopeless, sell that POS and buy a Zuki!:):) Maybe you need something with a little more power to get out of people's way.;)

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Maybe you need something with a little more power to get out of people's way
Well what actually happened was we somehow hooked together off the line and yes it was actually a good buddy of mine who rides a suzuki. After the race he apolgized and we kicked the crap out of his zuki for hurting a honda. Man did we ever beat that bike :moon:

Im still open for suggestions here, I have a few rides left this year and I just want to make sure it will be safe.

P.S..Smelk I am pretty sure your bike doesn't have enough power to control the powervalve on my bike ;)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Big whoopy, at least my pipe isn't bent!:):):moon:

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
I did the same thing to my stock pipe. I had to ride it back to the trailer afterward and let me say that my bike wasn't even worth riding like that. Not sure how bad your's is, but my engine was seriously lacking power and was choking itself even for that little bit. It sucks with the cold weather not too far away up there, but I'd buy a new pipe.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom