So Cal - Gorman Report - It was NEAT!

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Met up with Thumbs, Old 'n' Stealthy and CPT Jack for some neat forest riding on Saturday. Old 'n' Slo showed us some neat jeep trail just past the creek. Steep sweeping uphills with rocks all over the place. This took us past Kabob Hill and then it changed into really neat singletrack .... all overgrown - the head high weeds were brushing your arms the whole way. Also a few downed trees to duck under. Then it changes as we start to go up and it's very narrow cliffside rocky trail with some rather large rock piles / obstacles along the way. I'd never been through this trail before and it was the most neat (neatest ?) I've seen at Gorman so far. Everyone was riding great and there were no problems ... until we got about 5 miles away from our trucks and my bike seized up ! It'll still start and the clutch works but it won't move and the front sprocket won't turn. The shifter won't move up or down. Noooooo ! :(

So I stay put and they all ride back to get my truck ... I fell asleep waiting ... Jack and Old'n'S arrive and we load the bike up and head back to camp. Jack decides to do Baja 1000 and I'm nearly thrown from the truckbed several times. Nooooooo !

Then I spent 30 minutes doing some goon riding on Jack's hooked-up XR 400. Donuts, 2 foot jumps ... his XR4 is definitely neat.

Had a neat time despite the Euro bike blowout ... really neat ... now the question is do I fix my bike or just get a new 2002 Gas Gas XC 200 ?

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
Great ride, great conditions, great riding partners. It was nice riding the forest trails with no dust. When you ride in the back thats a big deal.

Now I have to get a carb. and exhaust like CPT Jack. But then I would have one less excuse for going slow.

The only bummer was Eels bike breaking. It broke soon as we got thru the singletrack[goat trail is more like it]. If it had happened one mile earlier it would have been a rough day.

Good luck getting your bike fixed Eel. Or heck just get that new bike, its only money.Can`t wait till next time.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Great ride! This was some incredible riding. I didn't now there was anything like that at Gorman. Thumbs, thanks again for the lift. Me & OldNSlow were on XR4's & the two less gravitationally challenged were on 125's. The dirt was in really good shape - fairly moist, very little dust. If it was dry conditions it bet it would have been a loooonngg day! Still hard to believe those 125's got up those hill's w/o problems. Good riding fella's!

Through the streams and under fallen tree, between(sometimes over) the boulders and thru the reeds - this was the most diverse, challenging (and cool!) trail in the Gorman area. Didn't have my barkbusters on and smacked my hand hard once(on the cliffs) . I highly recommend them. The section with the 5 ft reeds was so tight, they were constantly grabbing my bars. Challengers... you may need a guide!:p

What a great group to ride with! We all decided we've got to get out on this trail again before it closes for the winter.

LT, we didn't do Snowy although I think it was probably Eel's original plan. He's like like my own personal Kiwi!:scream: I'm not sure how we ended up going where we did. It was probably on OldNSlow's recommendation - good call! I imagine Snowy will close within a month or so, but hopefully we'll get up there before the forest trails close. It would certainly be worth your while to join us next time.

Bummer about your bike Eel :( , but OldNSlow is right - we would have had a heck of a time if it happened a mile back. This is just fate telling you you need a Gas Gas!:) Thery're really NEAT!:debil:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Hell, you only live once and you're a long time dead so I figure Snowy's on the menu at some point. That said - this really was the most enjoyable loop I've run at Gorman. There was so much variety and the scenery was great. I know alot of people don't really dig it there 'cause of the traffic and all but it's got to be my favorite spot so far. Probably helps that it's pretty close to me also.

Let's see - on this 40-miler we ran creek crossings, wide whooped-out sand washes with a select smattering of well-placed rocks, choice large rock piles, 1' wide single track through 5' high reeds and then under fallen trees through woods with fallen leaves, cliffside single track with rocks, steep swithchback hardpack jeep trail uphills with rocks, long twisty rutted downhills with broken rocks, hardpack fire roads up and down, sandy fireroads, more forest single track, and even some pavement at the end. I love rocks !

FUN ! FUN ! FUN ! FUN ! FUN ! FUN ! FUN ! FUN ! FUN ! FUN ! FUN !

The little Husky 125 is doing much better with the ProCircuit pipe and silencer I put on recently. The low end is better and the power seems much smoother i.e. usable more often along the curve. I just plunked down for a V Force 2 reed valve - I'll report on that later. I think the gearbox got a bit screwy 'cause I've been neglecting my chain. I read a post here about a guy with a similar problem and lack of chain maintenance was the culprit. Lack o' maintenance !

Talking now to MX Tech about a re-valve too. No Gas Gas for me - I'm gonna ride one horse for awhile. The little Husky sure is fun. Who would have thought I'd be on a 125 ? I sure didn't !

I'm way up for doing this loop again as soon as I'm back in action ... shouldn't be long. Let's start lining up the group right away ... maybe even throw in Snowy this time. Right Captain ? :)

Oh yeah - I'd like to hear T'ums' take on it. Where are ya' Tony ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom