So, I just got my first thumper!

ihone

Jan 10, 2006
That's right! Last night my 125 sold (for 1750 nonetheless), and I'm going today to pick up my new ride, an '03 Yamaha YZ250F for $2,000. The owner recently had a pretty bad get-off and broke both arms, leaving him permenantly disabled on his left arm. The bike has a few scratches and dings from the crash, but it's all cosmetic. There is a clutch lever and perch I have to replace, but that's a cakewalk.

I have a few questions for you folks though:
What long term benefits will I first see by switching to a 250F?
How much worse, honestly, is the maintenance and upkeep, as far as cost is associated? (I know somewhat of a ballpark, just want to ask you people)
And it's been setting for about 6months, not started one time. So, what should I do as to revive it from it's 6 month hibernation? (as in clean float bowl, plug, and filter)

Thanks DRN! You guys have always come up with pertinent information and help me alot with any problems I come up with. I'll post pics as soon as I get the bike at the house, and let you guys tell me whatcha think.

~'hone~

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The 6 month hibernation is nothing, really. However, I'd have the top-end inspected. In fact, I'd just have it re-done. You never know what you are getting with a used 4T. Why not start from a known base-line.

ihone

Jan 10, 2006
brought it home lastnight, changed the plug, dropped the carb bowl (it was laquered up purdy good), cleaned it out, checked the oil lvl, put just a few bits of Sunoco 112 as a priming agent, a capful of Marvel Mystery oil in teh cylinder to prevent a dry start, and after 4 kicks....BOOOOM!! It came to life.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom