So, I'm required by Texas Law to buy liability?

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
I mean obviously I'm not gonna use this bike on the street. Just gonna use it on dirt trails and courses. But Texas requires me to buy liability simply because it's a motorcycle. So technically, if I'm out on a dirt trail, and for some strange reason, I meet up with a cop, he could technically write me up for not having liability?

I mean there's really no way to enforce this right?

ryankdx12

Jul 12, 2007
First: an argument for liability insurance, if not Statefarm. Certainly you will want to read your policy.
RM_guy said:
I use State Farm and insured my 2001 with comp and liability for $60/year. I get a multi line discount so you might be higher but it's not that bad.

Second: If it is the law in Texas (I'm not saying it is, I'm just responding to your comments)....You may want to consult a lawyer before you break the law. Be good to know one when you find yourself in jail or with an unbelievable fine for breaking the law you seem intent to break.

Why bother asking? It makes no sense. Your intent to obey any laws is far from obvious from what you've posted.

About the time you crash into someone else and harm them or cause damage to their property (both highly possible on a dirtbike), yeah, you could get fined, sued, or otherwise. Own anything of value? They could take that too. But, hey, I'm no lawyer or insurance agent.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
No you are not required to have liability insurance for a dirt bike in Texas. You may be required to carry insurance by your lender of you financed the bike though since they want what is legall their bike covered until you pay it off.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Actually I had a policy through Progressive when I financed a bike several years ago specifically for off road vehicles that ONLY covered the bike for theft and damage, zero liability coverage. I believe it was about $45 per year at the time.

ryankdx12

Jul 12, 2007
Trist007:

Are you inquiring about insurance because someone at the dmv is requiring it?
Because you THINK it is required based on your definition of a dirtbike as a motorcycle. (Didn't you ask that in one the threads you've posted the last several days?)

If so, here is an attorney general's opinion from 2001....Again, I'm neither a lawyer nor play one on t.v. I'm trying to understand your questions. Maybe this will shed some light on your confusion?

http://www.oag.state.tx.us/opinions/JC/JC0416.pdf

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…