What kind of bike should I buy? 250 2 stroke or 450 4 stroke?

kingkreh04

May 5, 2009
New to Dirt Biking...What kind of bike should I buy?

Hello. I'm new to this website. I've decided to stop riding the road and start riding the dirt. I am in the process of selling my 1990 FZR 1000 (My first bike). So now I've got questions regarding what kind of dirt bike to buy. I've got roughly 2300 to spend. What brand/model, year, and amount of power should I buy? I was thinking of buying either a 250 2 stroke or 450 4 stroke dirt bike. This is my first dirt bike and allot of people would say that's too much power but I think I can handle it after riding a FZR 1000. I'm 23 weigh roughly 175 and I'm 5'11". I was told by a friend to get a 2 stroke because it's cheaper to fix and less maintenance. I'll mostly be trail riding until I can get comfortable enough to ride the tracks. Also since I live in California there's a green sticker red sticker law so if I do get a 250 2 stroke should I get a bike that's 2002 or older so I can ride year round or should I get a newer 2 stroke. If I get a newer 2 stroke I can't ride the local bay area trails during the summer correct? I would have to hit a local national forest. Would it be better to buy a newer or older 4 stroke and can I ride year round? Anything would help.

Last edited:

red_rider24

May 3, 2009
With $2300 to spend your better off getting a 250 2 stroke. You can get a much better bike for that price. I just bought a cr250 that had 5 gal. of gas ran through it for 2k. They are also very light and somewhat easier to trail ride because of the gear ratio. My 426 had an unbelievable tall first gear which made it difficult to ride tight trails. I was faced with that same decision 4 weeks ago and thats just my opinion and route I chose. I'm sure others will have their side of the story to tell.

Top Bottom