Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Check out this 02 RM85 Shock.. Forenics specilaits care to take a stab?

Attachments

• jc's holocost.jpg
    jc's holocost.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 626

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Is this picture called " see what happens when you leta 200lb pro jump your mini with the compression adjuster crammed down tite."?

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
The forensics guys usually get to interview someone who saw, smelled, heard, or fealt something. How about a little interview information. Throw in some crap like most witnesses do and we can try to sort out the bull from the useful info.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
1. Overfilling led to hydraulic lock (water hammer). :think:

2. The piston disintegrated when junior finally cleared the triple while fighting for the lead on the last lap (takes checkered flag while streaming shock fluid...).

3. Tried to adjust spring preload with a punch and a REALLY big hammer. :)

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Locktite on the adjuster got in to the stack and locked it closed causing catastrophic failure by hydraulic lock?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Gomer really should stay off of those little bikes.

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
When he hit the top spanner ring with a punch and hammer, he missed,(on a really good swing) and didn't tell dad or dad tell son

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
Rcannon maybe on to something. I have seen a cpl RM85's that have been ridden hard bend frames. (suspension is soft on them) One of them did this same thing and 1 broke a shaft. Suz. did warranty a frame & shock on 1. I have also seen this happen with shocks recently serviced with to much oil & hydraulic lock them.

doc

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
I smell the sierra club is at work here......

John Curea

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 29, 2000
Geeeez,...And those guys down the street told me that the 80 shock in the 125 was the hot set up.......

rm85shock

Last edited:

tbevy

Nov 8, 2001
Looks like the nut fell off the adjuster and wedged between the body and the piston!

Somebodys daddy not going to be to happy!!!

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
In my sick and twisted mind I wondered just where a shock would fail if the upper or lower bearings were not allowed to rotate. Could that do this type of damage? It seams hard to believe a wear issue could cause this on what is obviously a fairly new machine.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
ROFLMAO........ Man you guys come up with some good stuff..
Something did fall off BTW.... But it was not realted to anything you tighten. Kiwi.. I thought yours was the most interresting.. TBEVY, that is how the adjusters apear on the older and new but "cheap" Showa shocks.. ITs kind of werid beacuse for almost 10 years or soo the shock actuially had a way better adjustment mechanism.. in 02 they cheapened it up, much like the CR85.

BR,
Jer

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom