So you think motorcycle parts are expensive...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
... think again.

I was pricing race wheels for my track (velodrome) bicycle and I was reminded how the economies of scale make motorcycle stuff a "relative" bargain compared to the gear for more obscure past times.

Take a guess what the front wheel below sells for. :whoa:

Attachments

• mavic.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 161

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
You have to pay more for out of round carbon rims?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Looks like they need Thump to teach them how to use Photoshop properly. ;)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I guess around $800-$850??

I just put some new parts on my Bianchi and GT. Spent $700 between the two for rear cassettes, seat, chain, a new carbon fork, etc.

Heck... the seat was $125 and that is more than I can buy an SDG replacement for the YZ250F!

I could easily drop $7k on a new bicycle but don't see the point since I'd rather spend it on a new bike.

Ivan

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I'll give you a hint. The preferred tire for that wheel is the Continental Olympic Tubular which retails for $352, but sells for about $290 on the street. ;)

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
nevermind what I said, I just looked it up on google. :yikes:
How in the world could it be that expensive? I could buy a new bike with that amount!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
For those who didn't Google it, the list price is $3800 and no one ever discounts it.

The matching rear disc wheel is $2500.

So that's a grand total of $6900 with the tires.

It makes the new EFi CRF250R seem almost cheap by comparison. :)

Last edited:
May 10, 2007
jeez! how much does the bike these go on cost? I thought that high quality bikes were about 7k. But that doesnt sound right with the cost of those wheels.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I'm sorry, but ther is NO WAY thsoe wheels are worth that much. If anyone is silly enough to buy them they deserve to be hosed like that, lol.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
_JOE_ said:
I'm sorry, but ther is NO WAY thsoe wheels are worth that much. If anyone is silly enough to buy them they deserve to be hosed like that, lol.

Racers who prefer winning might disagree. This wheelset is the gold standard in the track world.

An interesting fact about the 5 spoke front wheel over the last 10 years:

This wheel has won more than 80% of the medals on all the cycle-racing tracks of the world.

It's like the Ricky Charmichael of wheels. :whoa:

flyingfuzzball said:
jeez! how much does the bike these go on cost? I thought that high quality bikes were about 7k. But that doesnt sound right with the cost of those wheels.

A track frame and drivetrain for the type of rider who would use these wheels would run in the $4000 to $7000 range.

The Felt TK1 frame below is $7000, and the Cervelo P3 frame is $3300. Add about $1000 more for the bars, seat and drive train, and you have a bike good enough to win the World Championship or the Olympics. All you need to add is the legs and the lungs. ;)

It's still cheaper than buying a Ducati. ;)

Attachments

• tk1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 132
  • P3-TRACK_001.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 123

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Bicycle stuff is crazy expensive, but I think that high end bicycle parts make a bigger difference than any other parts I have experience with.
My son has been racing mountain bikes for the last few years and he is now changing all his bikes for 29ers. At first I thought it was just a new way to keep daddy on a old 2T.... that is until I rode his new Gary Fisher 29er cross country bike. SOOOOOOOO easy to ride. I haven't tried his DH bike but I have watched him go thru sections @ Northstar that would give him trouble on his 26er & now he glides thru.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Rich Rohrich said:
Racers who prefer winning might disagree. This wheelset is the gold standard in the track world.

that's insane.. but look at those fine Zipp wheels.. Made right here in Speedway, IN.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
IndyMX said:
that's insane.. but look at those fine Zipp wheels.. Made right here in Speedway, IN.

If my training goes the way I hope over the winter, my $1600 Felt track bike will likely roll on Zipp 808 wheels for race days. At $2500 for the set they still aren't cheap, but they'll last till I stop riding, unlike any of the motorcycle racing stuff I've bought. :whoa:

This is what a $1600 (complete ready to race except for the pedals) track bike looks like:

Attachments

• tk2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 116

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

FJ - I bought a "Niner" single speed 29er this year and experienced the same :yikes: moment after comparing it to my trusty but 12 year old IBIS 26" wheel bike. The difference was well worth the price of admission. Plus it looks really SWEEETTT. :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Okiewan said:
So, you have to peddle these things? I mean, they don't come with a motor and stuff?

I have plenty of motor Mister. ;)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Talk about a bummer crashing? A guy brought an inboard boat by with issues. Volvo 4 banger. 1 timing belt, and 1 distributor. 1500 and change, used parts available, not a chance.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
What do you figure the production cost is on those Mavic Carbon rims?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Okiewan said:
Funny you mention Speedway, Indiana... lived there, done that. Used to walk to the race every year :)

I grew up in Speedway. My parents live at 20th & Lynhurst.

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
News girl-"So who are you cheering for?"
Fan holding a beer at 9:30am wearing a Kasey Kahne shirt-"Kasey drives the Bud car and I drink Bud" haha Should be an interesting time down there this weekend.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…