So you think motorcycle parts are expensive...

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
01HondaCR said:
News girl-"So who are you cheering for?"
Fan holding a beer at 9:30am wearing a Kasey Kahne shirt-"Kasey drives the Bud car and I drink Bud" haha Should be an interesting time down there this weekend.

You could tell she couldn't wait to get that interview over with and get the hell outta there.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
_JOE_ said:
What do you figure the production cost is on those Mavic Carbon rims?

That' a good question. I've been told that they are all hand layups, so I would imagine that they are fairly labor intensive.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I was feeling good about putting a new SRAM rear cassette on the Bianchi and GT. Still spent less than the graphics for those wheels cost!

I will say paying extra for better components really does help. Shifting is smoother and the gearing is spaced better than going with a lesser option.

But in the end it is still the seat to handlebar add on that makes the most difference :D

Ivan

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
truespode said:
But in the end it is still the seat to handlebar add on that makes the most difference :D

That's why I've loved bicycle racing for so long. :cool:

Twenty years ago when I first got started on the velodrome I had to line up for a one on one Match Sprint next to a guy whose bike and wheels were worth more than I made that year. I was riding a used track bike I bought for $300, had duct tape holding my cycling shoes together, and was wearing a motorcycle t-shirt instead of an expensive cycling jersey or skin suit.

I beat him so bad in that race he complained to the officials and demanded I be drug-tested. :whoa:

I knew that day I had found a home. Unless you are in that rare 2% of ability where every little bit counts, great equipment only takes you so far. That's a comforting thought when you roll up to the starting line. :cool:

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
That's what I would think too Ivan. I would go just as slow on those 7k dollar rollers as I do on my 500 dollar complete bike.

I see my casette sprockets are getting pretty worn so I may upgrade that this winter, but so far so good on the rest of the bike. I've been riding it pretty hard for a year now and it's held up well. Maybe I should buy a 500 dollar casette so I could be way faster?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
That's hilarious Rich.

I raced BMX when I was about 12 and rode a peiced together low-budget bike and still managed to beat alot of kids on really expensive bikes. Nothing feels better than beating the kids who snicker at you as they walk by in the pits, lol.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
_JOE_ said:
I would go just as slow on those 7k dollar rollers as I do on my 500 dollar complete bike.

I have about $800 in my GT... bought it used.

I have $2300 in my Bianchi... bought it new.

I go about the same speed on both but the Bianchi is a little more comfortable b/c of the steel frame.

However, I spent close to $300 on the saddles I put on the two (almost $150 each). Best money I have spent. I tried quite a few saddles but the Selle Italia Max Flite fits my rump the best so I put one on both bikes.

THAT made the most difference in my speed and endurance as I am now more comfortable. The SRAM cassettes have helped b/c the spacing of the gears are better than what I had before. My Bianchi was a 12/27 10 speed and I am now using a 11/28 and the spacing is making it so much easier to ride in the middle cogs and maintain cadence.

I am now registered for the Clarkesville Sunshine Century in TN. It is all flat and my fat arse is really expecting to be hurting even with my saddle :) I am a bit overweight but my cardio is good and my miles have picked up enough that I think I can do it without having a heart attack.

Ivan

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Rich Rohrich said:
I beat him so bad in that race he complained to the officials and demanded I be drug-tested. :whoa:

YOU ROCK RICH!

My speed is still slow but I am enjoying my rides more because I am going longer distances. I am fine doing 30 or 40 miles at 15mph and not running on the rev limiter. I get such a good feeling off of 130bpm and 80rpm's at times. That is what brings me back.

I appreciate what you and others can do in terms of speed. It is fun to watch!

Ivan

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
This seems to be as good a thread to ask as any so...

I have no cycling experience short of riding the local hardware store CCM 10 speed as a kid. I've been looking for other options for cardio and thought maybe a road bike may be a good alternative. Where does one start and learn the basics, I see Ivan talking about cadence etc, so you don't just hop on and pedal as hard as you can as long as you can? If someone can give me or steer me to the source of some insight it would be appreciated.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Chili said:
This seems to be as good a thread to ask as any so...

I have no cycling experience short of riding the local hardware store CCM 10 speed as a kid. I've been looking for other options for cardio and thought maybe a road bike may be a good alternative. Where does one start and learn the basics, I see Ivan talking about cadence etc, so you don't just hop on and pedal as hard as you can as long as you can? If someone can give me or steer me to the source of some insight it would be appreciated.

Doug - Send me your mailing address and I'll send you a book that will help you get started. :cool:

In the meantime, here's a couple of great links with tons of good 101 type info : http://www.bicycling.com/biketown/buy.html

http://www.bicycling.com/biketown/home.html

Last edited:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
The biketown websites are great.

Feel free to e-mail me at ivan at liechty dot us and I will be glad to answer anything I can.

I still consider myself a beginner but I do not feel I'm a "Fred" anymore (Fred's are basically the same as a spode in our vernacular).

Chris Carmichael has some great books about heart rate training that are helpful as well.

It is a great way to relax and stay in shape. There are some roads in Franklin, TN that have wide shoulders and go on for 10 miles or so. I get a good 30 mile ride in without any worry from cars and it is easy to zone out on.

There are a lot of good entry level bikes in the $600-$800 range. I know Giant, Trek, Fuji and Scott make some good ones. For the orange lovers KTM even makes some good bicycles now :)

Ivan

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
Hi Rich, how will you be strengthening your leg muscles for velodrome racing? My guess is that a racer would need about 40% fast twitch muscles for the sprint to speed and 60% slow twitch muscles for maintaining speed.I am curious what the top racers muscle balance is and as far as I understand that is genetically predetermined and cannot be change a whole lot.What have you found to be true for yourself?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Roy - The only events I plan on racing are the Match Sprint (200 meter), the flying 500 meter time trial, the Kilo (standing start 1000 meter), and the 3000 meter pursuit.

With the exception of the pursuit the distances, favor power and speed over aerobic capacity, which is probably why I've always preferred them. Standard power training in the gym using squats, deadlifts, and cleans has proven to pretty useful complement to on the bike speed training for me in the past. The pursuit has always been my weakest event, but I did win a Masters 10k time trial championship race in the past. I figure with the right training I'm can at least keep from embarrassing myself in the pursuit race. :)

I'll just have to build the correct type of engine for each event. ;)

Here's a table that shows how the basic systems contribute to each event.

Attachments

• track_output.jpg
    track_output.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 95

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
Funny this would come up.I stopped riding about 10 years ago and have paid for it.I am going to start riding again.I lust for this bike bad.After the first of the year I'll own one.

s1shimanor500001ol9.png

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The Cervelo is an awesome bike, and really good deal give the high end frame and components they use.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
Rich Rohrich said:
Roy - The only events I plan on racing are the Match Sprint (200 meter), the flying 500 meter time trial, the Kilo (standing start 1000 meter), and the 3000 meter pursuit.

With the exception of the pursuit the distances, favor power and speed over aerobic capacity, which is probably why I've always preferred them. Standard power training in the gym using squats, deadlifts, and cleans has proven to pretty useful complement to on the bike speed training for me in the past. The pursuit has always been my weakest event, but I did win a Masters 10k time trial championship race in the past. I figure with the right training I'm can at least keep from embarrassing myself in the pursuit race. :)

I'll just have to build the correct type of engine for each event. ;)

Here's a table that shows how the basic systems contribute to each event.

Hey Rich,tell everybody how you used to train by pulling CTA buses around the block with your bike.What was really shocking the buses air brakes were ON. :yikes:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I got a short ride on a Cervelo P2C and I thought the ride quality was quite good, but bear in mind I raced criteriums on one of the original big tube bonded aluminum Cannondales some 20 year ago. Those things set the high mark for stiff and harsh, so my harsh-o-meter might be a tad off. :whoa:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom