yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Travis has a article under The Prospect that is just great. It details what it takes to be a pro. The dream can turn in to a nightmare if you let it. A quote from the article that shined:

This year I re-strained my ankle, had a severe concussion, lost consciousness in one race, tore cartilage in my chest, severely tweaked my knee, got strep throat, cam down with the flu, tackled a Tuff Block at 40 mph, developed chronic sinusitis from inhaling too much dust and tore my back badly enough to keep me from walking for more than a week. And even though I won the 125cc East SX title this year, I still managed to catch a lot of criticism for pulling out of two 250cc races "for no reason."

Last edited:

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
It's difficult to generate any sympathy for the pro racers of today. Travis should try working a real job 50-60 hours a week and spend his own money on racing and see how he likes it. Most of us pay hard-earned money to do what Travis and the rest of the pros do for a living. I don't think there are many on this site who wouldn't trade positions with him, sore body or not.

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
It would be the pressure

that would get to me. We paid you, now where are the championships! - would be pretty big pressure. And forget about light duty, or disability. If your arm is broken they plate you up and want you to ride asap. They earn good money and usually earn it all.

I don't feel sorry for them, but I would not want their job either! Especially the privateers! I ride for fun - although I wish someone would pay me to ride at the local track with no strings. In my dreams!

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
I don't believe he's asking for sympathy. He's just illustrating that the road can be very bumpy. Now if you ask Hannah, Bailey, or Johhny O, they'll tell you that todays pros have it easy. Kinda of like, "when I was your age, I walked ten miles..."

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Yarbonwick,
I agree with what you say, but I believe that Travis is trying to point out that even with all the injuries he sustained from riding he still won the 125 East SX. But when he pulls off the track in the 250 races, the media jumps on him with the same story line that there was no reason for him to pull off. Guess it goes to show you, now you know the rest of the story... Not many of us could survive a lap on a SX track, let alone the media.

homey

Aug 7, 2001
I think we have to realize that this is his full time job. Like everyone else in the working world, he too has his complaints. There are not too many people that can devote every hour of their lives to their career! I have a 40 hour a-week job and at 5:00 I drop everything and forget about it. Travis, and any other professional athelete, has to put in extra hours to get where he is. I tried a full season of downhill mountainbiking this year with the job, if I didn't have the job I think I would still get burnt out, and I only had about 10 races. These guy's are on the road every week in a different time zone living out of a suitcase for months at a time. They don't have it easy! The media and everyone who observes the sport from a distance are quick to judge, and usually make statements without good judgement. Although I am not a professional athelete, I would believe Travis's own statement before I would believe someone else!

Top Bottom