Solid handlebars on new KDX ?????

Tomdes

Jul 24, 2001
I tried to install bark busters on my 2001 KDX 220. Cut the left grip end and found the bar had a plug in the end.To see how thick the plug is,I drilled in from the bar end and drilled two inches and never hit hollow bar. I gave up because if I cut off two inches off each bar , they will be too short anyway. Now buying aftermarket bars. Has anyone had this problem?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The plugs are supposed to dampen vibration, and Kawasaki has been using them for years. They are spot welded in, and there are various methods for breaking them loose. Take the hole you already drilled and tap a small lag bolt into it - turn the bolt with a wrench and it will break the plug loose.

If you are cutting the bars down, you certainly want to remove the plugs first!

maicomotoman

Dec 16, 2001
If you look at the end of the bar, you will see three small tack-welds holding the plug in. If you grind through these tacks, you can remove the plugs. I just took a hammer and pounded them in far enough to attach the handguards. Not exactly high-tech, I know, but it works if you don't want to spring for new bars yet.:) I think another option would be to drill them out to accept the pro-taper sized bar ends. I don't know which handguards you have, but some come ready to mount to the (smaller inside diameter) pro-tapers. Good luck!

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
my .02 cents is get the new bars and don't waste your time moding the stock ones. The stockers are going to bend on your first get off anyway, then you will be getting new bars, so save yourself the trouble. Tag makes a pretty good bar that fits the stock clamps, others here use them. I have the x5 on order with the mini bend.
Lew

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
if you cut a half inch off the bar ends the solid inserts will come out. The bars are pretty soft so a hacksaw will make short work of it. I was lazy so i just cut the tubing and used a pair of channel-locks to pull the inserts

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
If you take the inserts out to install bark busters you will not be happy due to the vibrations. My dealer showed me a cheap easy way to dramatically reduce the vibration even with stock bars with the inserts removed. Jam wadded up paper in the bars until you have about 4 inches remaining, melt and pour lead in the end leaving room for the bark busters. You can pick up the lead at any hunting shop and it is easy to melt in a laddle with a propane torch. The lead won't add much more weight than the original rod and it will stay in place just fine.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
If you use a pipe cutter to cut the bars, the plugs should come right out after you cut through the tubing.

Top Bottom