INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Timers Moments
There was a late change in the riding schedule that was not on my part. I went out to the garage to inform INCA, who had been looking forward to a fresh air ride on the trailer for a change. It required ½ of a Niagara pill, (the horseshoe half, a very critical matter), to stem the flow of tears. It worked too. Riding on 4/9 had been scheduled since January so another quick change was made, too late to post.
I arrived at the 32nd. St. lot at 8 AM and set off on the Big ‘O’ CW, solo with a bright and chilly sun. There were about six fresh tracks at the beginning but after a while they quit and it looked to me as though no one had been on the trail yet this year. Then fresh tracks appear once more. Apparently there are some that ride short stretches only. As I got farther south the sun clouded over, a slight rain came down, it got darker, the wind blew strong and if someone hadn’t thrown in a log, I might have drowned. The first person I saw on the trail was a man from Holland who was out picking up 13 deer blinds he had in the area. It was good riding at a safe comfortable pace and I was having a good time without the harassment from the big cabbage. One thing I did notice is quad tracks, which are illegal on the Big ‘O’. So much for bikes being the cause of all the problems. The problem with good marking on the road sections is still present so you have to watch where you’re going. There were places where new triangles have been up and some chain saw work on downed trees across the trail. For my part, I’d just as soon make a new trail around the obstruction and let the tree lay in peace. I was back to the lot by 1:30 for lunch. It was 70 miles and INCA only ate 5 quarts.
A train of 7 quads pulled in and took a break while I was taking mine. Just as I was starting up to run the Little ‘O’, also CW, the quads got on the trail ahead of me. My first thought was to change my plan, but I can be rather stubborn at times, so took off after them. From my past experience with quads ahead on the trail, I knew it would do no good to ride behind them. I also do not like to be the agitator, unless Woodsy is the agitatee. At the first stop sign, I took off to the right and got around the last two. The front five were duck soup when they stopped at a large downed tree on the trail. Since I had just been through in the opposite direction, a romp through the saplings took care of being behind them. Soon met another solo rider and told him was up ahead. Thank you and you’re welcome did the job. There were a few other quads and bikes out but no big deal. About 4 miles from the end INCA got the best of me going around a downed tree. I wound up on the ground, just tipped over actually. Finished back at the lot at 4:30 to load up and head for home. It was a pleasant 7 hours of actual riding time and covered 107 miles.
Here are two things for an emergency kit should you ever be a part of Woodsy’s Delight. Bow and arrows so you can shoot in the air for help when lost. The second thing is a recipe for burnt squirrel as follows.
Get the squirrel as best you can.
Soak in you favorite pre-mix.
Season with whatever is available.
Cover with a poultice of leaves.
Line a pit with stones, build a fire and heat to 375 degrees.
Replace fire with squirrel and cover with a mound of dirt.
Take a hike, return, dig into the mound, have a delicious chicken dinner.
Serves one nut.

Young Ted

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Excellent, Ted - thanks for sharing!
I'm making of a copy of your recipe for Woodsy's Delight. Sure I'll need it IF I ever get to ride with him.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
AWESOME RIDE REPORT THERE BROTHER!!!! Glad/surprised you made it out safely without the leadership of the "big cabbage"!!
I gotta Squirrel bone to pic with you though... WHats the big idea giving out my recipe for burnt squirrel? You violated section 4 of article 341 of the Code!! People are known to come ride our "On Any Monday" rides just to get that recipe! Now I fear they will skip the ride and cook at home.. Think of the implications: Northen Squirrels will no longer be endangered, businesses North of Baldwin will close and home sales will plummet (hey, all those lost riders provided revenue), all the Renies in the resturants will probably become sane, and how on earth will the "little Jimmies" of the world ever learn to choose their riding partners carefully? On the other hand, you and I both know that burnt squirrel taint near as fine when eaten at home... They'll be back :)
Randy and I did get out for a couple hours late last night. Here is shot from the ride just for you INCA! Kadie wanted me to post this for you cause she is SOOOO proud of how nice her name looks!! THANKS TED - u da man!!

Attachments

• May11212.JPG
    May11212.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 141

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
But I have a pickalilly with you. You only had an end product, not the recipe for getting there. So without a recipe you are lost. That's not the only way either. Furthermore, look at the result of my recipe. Bet yours wouldn't come out that way. If you want to complain about the pickalilly, you pick what you want and I'll do likewise. Rules were made to be broken and I'm going to do my share.
Be kind to the Doc tomorrow and come out with a good answer. I for one would miss you riding any time. Thinking about 4/19 already. Have been working quite hard the last few weeks, so this week I get to play taking care of the filter cleaning business.
If anyone else would like name letters for their freind, say so and I'll make them up. Time to once more laugh myself to sleep.

Top Bottom