Solution to my excessive fuel use problem

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
I know there has been a couple of guys here who have posted about excessive fuel consumption with their bikes and mine used to be the same. I was able to fix mine by leaning out the main jet by three sizes. I originally had a 122 in there, and I leaned it to 120 and the improvement in power was remarkable. I then leaned it out further to a 115 main and the power gain was again significant. I took the bike out on the weekend with this setup and rode hard for 2.5 hours on just over half a tank. I estimate an easy 4 hours from a tank now, possibly more which is a vast improvement over before when I could not make 2 hours, and would normally run out at 1 hour 50 or so.

All the extra power that I have avail now means I dont have to run around at full throttle all the time, hence the drastic reduction in fuel use. I couldnt believe that such small change had such a huge effect on fuel economy. Its a shame I have only sorted this out now, about 2 weeks before I upgrade to the 35mm carb. Oh well.

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
For info guys - On the weekend I went for a ride with a mate on a KLX300, road registered. So we were able to measure how far we rode. I took the opportunity to also measure the fuel economy of my bike. I filled the tank to the brim, then went on the ride, then came home and filled the tank to the brim again out of a graduated container. We rode for 92kms that day and I only used 6.5L of juice, so my bike uses 7 litres per 100km. This should give me a 130 km range out of my 10 L tank. I figured out that when my bike was set up poorly (too rich) I could only get 46km out of a tank so thats a vast improvement!

Bike is stock except 35mm carb and pipe mod as per canadian daves website. Temp was 10 degrees, riding between 1000m and 1500m.

Brendan

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom