BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
It is possible that the John Zink Ranch will allow motorcycles again.  However, this is just a prelimenary statement.  I spent some time talking to the son of a member of the Board of Trustees and this conversation was passed along to the board.  For those of you not familiar with the John Zink Ranch, it was the site of the 1994 ISDE.  The 1994 ISDE was the last time motorcycles were allowed on the property.  The "then" chairman of the board stopped all access to the ranch and has recently been replaced due to his health condition.  The board is made up entirely of Zinc family members.  The members are much more interested in having events than the former chairman would allow. 
The property is large, 12,000 + acres.  Some of this is part of the National Prairie Grass reserve and is home to a large herd of buffalo.  The old riding area is around 4000 acres.
My questions to everyone is how present a proposal to the Board of Trustees to regain access to this facility.  Here are a couple of points that I wish to make in no particular order.

1. Family oriented activity.
  2. Multi-use, motorcycles, atv's, horses, mountain bikes.
  3. Charity events by having rodeo's, trail rides, and racing events.
  4. Creation of fire breaks and access roads for fire fighting, clearing of underbrush near the trails.

The John Zink trust is huge, very very huge.  The money generated by admission is pocket change to the trust so dollars are not the real issue.  My biggest concerns are the obvious ones.  Getting visitors to keep the areas clean, no obnoxious behavior, or having any criminal activity taking place on the property.  This may be the only chance at gaining riding area in this area and it is a really large area at that.  Your suggestions and comments are valued.  I do not have a time table as of yet.  I do NOT want to rush into this.  The better I can make a presentation the better chances of succeeding. 
BTW, Dirtweek 2002 was the catalyst that got the conversations going with the board.  DRN stands a good chance at being in the forefront of this great opportunity.  I will only represent this effort as such if given the go-ahead by the administrator and the consensus of members.  If any of you had anything to do with the 1994 effort that brought the ISDE to the John Zink Ranch or know of someone that did, please give me contact names and such.

Brian(fingers and toes crossed)

Last edited:

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
hey bri, sounds like you're hitting some good points, i'd go for good P.R too. if they've got lots of money then cash aint an issue, but helping out the community might appeal to them. me, i'm a people person, i'd have to talk to them for a while to find out what "they" are looking to get out of it, then i'd stear it thata' way. maybe they want good P.R, maybe fire protection, hell brian, maybe they just want to stick it to greenie weenies.don't sweat it tho, if ya get to logger-heads, give me a buzz, i'm available for mediation, i can speak texin like i's born-to'it!

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
And thus starts the second time that Texas want's to secede from the Union
:) :) :thumb:

Sarge, you are one of a kind! :worship:

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Brian - That is great news.  I agree about going slow and being very deliberate in putting together a proposal.  Just to be part of the opportunity to reopen the ranch is cool.  It would put DRN on the map in a big way. 

Random thoughts .....

• There needs to be an oversite group willing to be responsible to the family board for the care and upkeep of the area.
  • There needs to be a clear "mission statement" defining the proposal.
  • The group stepping up to be the "board members" must be beyond reproach.
  • There should be a schematic cost / benefit analysis that shows how the group has considered the costs associated with an undertaking such as opening and operating the area.
  • If funds are required for startup of the facility, and the expectation is that the family would provide them, there must be a very sound and professional presentation.
  • The group must be able to address all the concerns raised by the family trust related to liability issues.  That isn't to say that they would need to know all the answers before meeting with them, but there would have to be a commitment to follow through with the answers.
  • The group should be able to demonstrate a understanding of the "broader picture" relating to access ... multi-use, restoration and rehabilitation, protection of sensitive areas, etc.

Irish - It would take more than Sarge or OU kicking TT's ass to get us to secede.  Now if you give us back our original borders, we might go quietly.

Tony  

Last edited:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
:) :) I'm sure that Canada would love to have Tejas a little closer :thumb:

Last edited:

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
ok, i've got the answer. i was able to clear the mind bone with some brown beer and cold scotch over the days and came up with the definitive answer. tell the zinc ranch that your chapter of drn will be the local regulators, if given the authority by the zincs, to keep the moto area of the ranch under control. the only draw backs that i came up with could be remedide by this. your chapter could be, private park rangers, of the zincs, keeping rowdy idiots out, keeping it clean,safe, family oriented and they would have a good PR arm by extension the DRN. i know this might be a bit more than you guys wanted to bite off, but i find that asking, rather, placing yourself to be in complete control/responsibility ussually gets you the outcome you want.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Definitely something to consider but I like to ride more than "police".  Something to consider.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by mx547
it might be a good idea to spell their name correctly...zink. :debil:

Precisely why I started here.  Figured I would have a few hundred proof readers. ;)

Top Bottom